Finding a Passion for Math: A Self-Taught Journey

In summary: Once you have done so, try to find a tutor. I have a few Algebra 1 books I've been skimming, I figured thatd be a good place to start.. go ahead and make fun of me if you want to. I am just trying to learn. Thanks!
Timvizz95
This is my first post on the forums, Hello! my names Tim, nice to be on here!

I will keep this as short as possible. In high school, I hated math and loved science. Its a story I hear often. I was bad at math, or maybe it just wasnt introduced to me correctly. It took a lot of soul searching after high school, but along the way my passion for science, particularly physics has been rekinkled.

I am interested in learning mathematics, Algebra and up. I plan to eventually go back to school but in the mean time, Id like to learn as much on my own. What is the best way to teach yourself Algebra and up? I want to relearn everything because I did not pay attention in high school, to be frank...

I have a few Algebra 1 books I've been skimming, I figured thatd be a good place to start.. go ahead and make fun of me if you want to. I am just trying to learn. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! No one should make fun of you for trying to learn, that's why we're all here. In addition to looking at your old textbooks, you might give the Khan academy a try. It has a full range of math lessons online, and they are free. Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back here with questions.

Likes Timvizz95
Than
phyzguy said:
Welcome! No one should make fun of you for trying to learn, that's why we're all here. In addition to looking at your old textbooks, you might give the Khan academy a try. It has a full range of math lessons online, and they are free. Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back here with questions.

Thank you! I appreciate it. It can be intimidating trying to figure this stuff out alone, I am glad I have this forum as a new resource. I am checking out Kham Academy now!

Hello Tim, welcome here. There exist some very good tutorials on self-studying mathematics - and algebra in particular - on Physics Forums, written by this author. (The link lists all his articles and tutorials on PF, but the ones that are about self-studying should be apparent.) You are recommended to have a look.

Likes Timvizz95
Krylov said:
Hello Tim, welcome here. There exist some very good tutorials on self-studying mathematics - and algebra in particular - on Physics Forums, written by this author. (The link lists all his articles and tutorials on PF, but the ones that are about self-studying should be apparent.) You are recommended to have a look.
Thank you so much!

Timvizz95 said:

I will keep this as short as possible. In high school, I hated math and loved science. Its a story I hear often. I was bad at math, or maybe it just wasnt introduced to me correctly. It took a lot of soul searching after high school, but along the way my passion for science, particularly physics has been rekinkled.

I am interested in learning mathematics, Algebra and up. I plan to eventually go back to school but in the mean time, Id like to learn as much on my own. What is the best way to teach yourself Algebra and up? I want to relearn everything because I did not pay attention in high school, to be frank...

I have a few Algebra 1 books I've been skimming, I figured thatd be a good place to start.. go ahead and make fun of me if you want to. I am just trying to learn. Thanks!
Khan academy is a god-sent. So helpful, thank you again!

Timvizz95 said:

Pick one or two of the Algebra 1 books you have which you think are good. Do not just skim them/it. Study from it thoroughly. Treat the material the same way you would if you were attending an in-class, in-seat class. Read the chapter sections in order, and reread to try to understand; try to solve or answer the examples yourself as far through as you can before looking at the solutions. Do the exercises in each chapter section. Move on to the next section; and keep going this way until you finished the chapter sections which constitute a course on Algebra 1.

You can look at some sources on the internet as you go in order to find help in understanding, or also ask questions for help on this physicsforums or other online forums which you believe might help. MOST of your study should be from your chosen book and doing the exercise problems in it.

Algebra 1 done like that might be a 4 to 5 month process. Once done, rest for a few days and then move on to College Prep. Geometry, or Algebra 2. After those, move on to Trigonometry.

You may consider enrolling at a community college to study these courses for credit.

If you are really weak at basic arithmetic, then you could have great trouble trying to learn Algebra 1 on your own. You could either try to study just basic arithmetic first, or try a Pre-Algebra textbook or course.

symbolipoint said:
Pick one or two of the Algebra 1 books you have which you think are good. Do not just skim them/it. Study from it thoroughly. Treat the material the same way you would if you were attending an in-class, in-seat class. Read the chapter sections in order, and reread to try to understand; try to solve or answer the examples yourself as far through as you can before looking at the solutions. Do the exercises in each chapter section. Move on to the next section; and keep going this way until you finished the chapter sections which constitute a course on Algebra 1.

You can look at some sources on the internet as you go in order to find help in understanding, or also ask questions for help on this physicsforums or other online forums which you believe might help. MOST of your study should be from your chosen book and doing the exercise problems in it.

Algebra 1 done like that might be a 4 to 5 month process. Once done, rest for a few days and then move on to College Prep. Geometry, or Algebra 2. After those, move on to Trigonometry.

You may consider enrolling at a community college to study these courses for credit.

If you are really weak at basic arithmetic, then you could have great trouble trying to learn Algebra 1 on your own. You could either try to study just basic arithmetic first, or try a Pre-Algebra textbook or course.
Thank you! I am doing just that and I am going to community college in this spring.. I wanted to be as prepared as possible ahead of time. appreciate the advice!

1. What inspired you to begin your self-taught journey in math?

I have always been fascinated by the power and beauty of mathematics, but it wasn't until I started exploring it on my own that I truly fell in love with the subject. I was inspired by the endless possibilities and the challenge of teaching myself something new.

2. How did you go about teaching yourself math without formal education?

I started by researching different resources and finding ones that were accessible and easy to understand. I also joined online communities and forums where I could ask questions and learn from others. Practice and persistence were key in my self-taught journey.

3. What advice do you have for someone who wants to develop a passion for math?

My advice would be to start by exploring different branches of math and finding what interests you the most. Don't be discouraged by challenges or setbacks, and always keep an open mind. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out resources that can aid in your learning.

4. How has your self-taught journey in math impacted your career or personal life?

My self-taught journey in math has greatly impacted my career, as it has given me a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It has also opened up many opportunities for me, such as pursuing a career in a math-related field. Personally, it has given me a sense of accomplishment and confidence in my abilities.

5. What do you think is the biggest misconception about learning math on your own?

I believe the biggest misconception is that you have to be born with a natural talent for math in order to be successful at teaching yourself. In reality, anyone can develop a passion for math and improve their skills through dedication and hard work. It's all about finding the right approach and resources that work for you.