Will My PhD Topic Restrict My Career Options and Are Australian Universities Well-Regarded Globally?

• Thread starter jt2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary: This might be a great time to start a side project that you have been wanting to do. You will be able to do it without feeling that you are wasting your time. And you might be able to get it published so that you can show that you are really serious about this field.
jt2012
I have been offered a PhD at a TOP institution. The problem is, it is in rather an applied field. I am also waiting upon an offer from ANU (Australian National University) in a fundamental topic. Both are world recognised universities, though the former is of the top few. My worry is that I will be pigeon-holed after my PhD and be very restricted in what I can do after. My question is: how much does our PhD tie you down to the project you study, and are Australian universities well regarded to the extent that do their graduates get positions in world-leading institutions, such as those in the US and Europe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention: I am perhaps more interested in the more fundamental side of things, as I believe this might lead to more exciting Physics as well as opportunities. I am an experimentalist

jt2012 said:
My worry is that I will be pigeon-holed after my PhD and be very restricted in what I can do after.

You will be.

My question is: how much does our PhD tie you down to the project you study, and are Australian universities well regarded to the extent that do their graduates get positions in world-leading institutions, such as those in the US and Europe?

To first order, you are doomed.

General advice is don't expect on getting a research professorship after the Ph.D. The jobs are so few and the number of qualified applicants are so many, that you are doomed. The thing to do is to google for the "rumor mill" of the field that you are in.

But knowing that you are doomed can be strangely liberating. If it's the situation that you aren't going to get the job no matter what you do, then you are free to do what you want.

1. What is the difference between interest and institution?

Interest refers to a person's curiosity or desire to learn about something, while institution refers to an established organization or system that serves a specific purpose.

2. How does interest play a role in institutions?

Interest can be a driving force behind the creation and success of institutions. Many institutions are formed based on a common interest or goal, and individuals with a shared interest often come together to form an institution.

3. Can institutions influence a person's interest?

Yes, institutions can have a strong influence on a person's interest. For example, a person may develop an interest in a particular field or topic after being exposed to it through an institution, such as a school or club.

4. What are some examples of institutions that are driven by interest?

Some examples of institutions that are driven by interest include schools, museums, clubs, and organizations focused on specific hobbies or causes.

5. How can understanding interest and institutions benefit society?

Understanding interest and institutions can help society by promoting collaboration and innovation. When individuals with a shared interest come together to form an institution, they can work towards a common goal and bring about positive change in their communities and the world.