1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest problem

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a problem in my calculus book.However, I am sure this involves calculus. This is also not a question from an economics class, it is just curiosity.

My question is: If I have a debt that is continually compounded, and I continually pay off the debt at a constant rate, how long will it take to pay off the debt?

2. Relevant equations
    Compund interest(PERT)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let:
    r=rate on the debt. (assume annually)
    y= amount of money I will pay per year.
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]t= an increment of time of which I will pay a quanta of money.

During the time [tex]\Delta[/tex] t since I started the debt, I will owe er[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

At this point I will pay my first quanta of money which would be y[tex]\Deltat[/tex]. and w

Right before I make my second payment on time 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]t, I will owe the money f
    money owed from last increment AND the compound interest since that time.
    ie I will owe (et[tex]\Delta[/tex]t-y[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)er[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=e2r[tex]\Delta[/tex]t-y[tex]\Delta[/tex]te[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

Continuing the pattern, the money I would owe right before my nth payment is:

en[tex]\Delta[/tex]t-y[tex]\Delta[/tex]te(n-1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

This is getting a bit tough. Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    Latex isn't working right now. It's bit hard to read.

But are you referring to a cash flow problem (annuities) i.e. there is a negative cash flow at t =0, and at the end of each year/month, there are equal positive cash flows.
    http://www.zenwealth.com/BusinessFinanceOnline/TVM/Annuities.html

(it doesn't consider inflation)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook