1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest rate homework problem

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Hello all

For discrete compunding, we have after n years [tex] (1+r)^n [/tex] where r is the interest rate. IF we receive m interest payments at a rate of [tex] \frac {r}{m} [/tex] then our discrete compounding equation becomes [tex] (1+ \frac{r}{m})^m = e^{m\log(1+(\frac{r}{m}))} \doteq e^r [/tex] After time t we will have [tex] e^{rt} [/tex]. My question is, how do they receive the approximation of [tex] e^r [/tex]? Could we look at this as a differential equation such that if we have an amount [tex] M(t) [/tex] in the bank at time t, how much will it increase from one day to another? So [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex] How do we get the right hand side or approximation? I know it has something to do with a Taylor Series, but could someone please show me?

[tex] \frac{dM}{dt}dt = rM(t)dt [/tex] so [tex] \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t) [/tex] Why do we multiply by [tex] dt [/tex] in the differential equation? How would we solve this equation? I know the answer is [tex] M(t) = M(0)e^{rt}[/tex]

Finally the equation [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex] relates the value you will get earlier given that you know the dollar value at time T. Is this a result of the differential equation?

Thanks a lot. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.They used an aproximation...That is for very small [itex] \frac{r}{m} [/itex]

[tex] \lim_{\frac{r}{m}\rightarrow 0} [(1+\frac{r}{m})^{\frac{m}{r}}]^{r}=e^{r} [/tex]

using the definition of "e"...

2.They multiplied by "dt" to SEPARATE VARIABLES IN THE DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION.It's a standard method...

Daniel.

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3
    Thanks. How did they get this: [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex]

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4
  6. Jan 27, 2005 #5
    oh so basically for separation of variables we have [tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = g(x)f(y) [/tex] then the solution is [tex] \int \frac{dy}{f(y)} = \int g(x) dx [/tex]

7. Jan 27, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right... :smile: That's the easiest method among all methods to integrate SOME diff.eqns.

Daniel.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7
    Could someone please show me how they got this: [tex] M(t+dt) - M(t) \doteq \frac{dM}{dt}dt + ... [/tex] (I know from the other posts it is a Taylor series expansion) however could you just explain this a little further?

Also with the separation of variables, [tex] \frac{dM}{dt} = rM(t) [/tex] could someone please show me how they seperate the variables?

Also how do you get [tex] e^{-r(T-t)} [/tex] for the value of the money at an earlier time?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?