Calculating Effective Yield on Discount Loan

• Thread starter Sportsman4920
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Yield
In summary, the effective yield on a discount loan with a discount rate of 2.7% and a time of 11 months can be calculated using the equation r=(1+i/t)^t. Depending on whether the 2.7% is the effective or nominal rate, the annualized equivalent yield would be approximately 2.95% or 2.99%, respectively. The equation assumes that the 2.7% is the effective rate and takes into account the additional month of investment.
Sportsman4920
Find the effective yield on a discount loan with the given discount rate r and the time. (Round your answer to two decimal places.)

r = 2.7%, 11 months

I tried using the equation r=(1+i/t)^t, but could not come up with the exact correct answer. I know the answer should be about 2.8 or 2.9. Is this the correct equation? I'm not exactly sure how the discount loan part plays into this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sportsman4920 said:
Find the effective yield on a discount loan with the given discount rate r and the time. (Round your answer to two decimal places.)

r = 2.7%, 11 months

I tried using the equation r=(1+i/t)^t, but could not come up with the exact correct answer. I know the answer should be about 2.8 or 2.9. Is this the correct equation? I'm not exactly sure how the discount loan part plays into this. Thanks.

if by effective yield, you mean the annualized equivalent yield, then 1.027^12/11 or about 2.95%. In words, "if I can earn 2.7% over the 11 month period, I wonder what I could earn in the same investment for an additional month, assuming the investment provider gives me the same periodic rate ?"

The equation assumes that the 2.7% is the effective rate. If it's the nominal rate, then the effective rate over the 11 months is (1+r/11)^11, 2.73% and the annualized equivalent is 1.0273^12/11 or 2.99%

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

What is "Calculating Effective Yield on Discount Loan"?

"Calculating Effective Yield on Discount Loan" is a method used to determine the annual rate of return on a discounted loan, taking into account the initial discount and the time to maturity. It is a measure of the actual return earned by the lender on a discounted loan, rather than the stated interest rate.

How is the effective yield on discount loan calculated?

The effective yield on discount loan is calculated using the following formula: Effective Yield = (Discount Amount / Loan Proceeds) * (360 / Days to Maturity). This formula takes into account the initial discount, the loan amount, and the time to maturity to determine the annualized return on the loan.

Why is calculating effective yield on discount loan important?

Calculating effective yield on discount loan is important because it provides a more accurate measure of the return on a discounted loan. It takes into account the initial discount, which can significantly impact the actual return earned by the lender. This measure allows for better comparison between loans with different discount rates and maturities.

What are some factors that can affect the effective yield on discount loan?

The effective yield on discount loan can be affected by factors such as the initial discount rate, the loan amount, the time to maturity, and any fees or charges associated with the loan. Changes in interest rates or the borrower's creditworthiness can also impact the effective yield.

How does the effective yield on discount loan differ from the stated interest rate?

The effective yield on discount loan differs from the stated interest rate in that it takes into account the initial discount and the time to maturity. The stated interest rate only reflects the annual percentage rate (APR) of the loan, without considering the impact of the initial discount. Therefore, the effective yield provides a more accurate measure of the return earned by the lender.