1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in AI

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    I am going to UCSD soon and I can't decide to focus on CS or computer engineering. The latter, requires 2 more physics classes, E&M/Waves&Optics and differential equations, where CS requires Mechanics/Chem200 and no differential equations. I've already taken Chem200 and currently in Mechanics now.

So, I could transfer a year earlier if I just went with CS.

I am interested in the application of AI and algorithms. Would it be worth waiting another year for the computer engineering degree?

Both are impacted majors, so I plan to transfer as a Math/CS major (through the math department), then apply for both programs after doing the required quarter of CSE classes.

Thanks in advance,

FP

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2
    AI is a multidisciplinary field that is studied in both CE and CS. Algorithms, on the other hand, are the heart of computer science.

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    No need to spend another year, if you already know what you want. From what I read on another popular forum: people who do computer engineering learn about components of the computers, they usually are employed for firms that produce these and related. So that is the main difference in the job profile you are going for. Actually the person was in Australia and complained as there was no real computer production industry there so he had difficulty finding a job, his words.

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4
    Okay, thanks for the replies. It does seem like CS would be the better option.

Thanks!

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5
    Pick up plenty of statistics, too. An awful lot of modern AI is built around machine learning, which is statistical in nature.

7. Feb 11, 2016 #6
    There are a lot of ways you can do that, AI is a really broad field. I would suggest going for either statistics/data science, cognitive science, or electrical engineering with a focus on controls or DSP, and a CS minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook