What are some recommended books for beginners in astrophysics?

In summary, The conversation is about a person asking for book recommendations on astrophysics as a medical student with no previous knowledge on the subject. The other person suggests studying calculus, linear algebra, and classical physics before delving into astrophysics, but the person already has some background in those subjects. They are looking for beginner-friendly books and the recommended book is "The physical universe" by Frank Shu, which is compared to "Feynman lectures" in astronomy books. The person ends the conversation by thanking the other for their help and expressing their intention to check out the recommended book.
sammour
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone could recommend a book to start off reading about astrophysics.
I have no previous background on any of the issues regarding the topic. I am a medical student who is interested in reading and getting to know more about the subject for my personal intellectual gain and pleasure.

Thank you in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
You should first study calculus , linear algebra and classical physics

I already do have an idea about these subjects.
I just wish to find a book for beginners as starters, and from that I could try to get into details in these subjects in the future.

I am open for any suggestions!

Thank you,

The usual reference is "Fundamental Astronomy" by Kartunnen et al. That being told, my favorite one is "The physical universe" by Frank Shu, I regard it as the closest equivalent in style to the "Feynman lectures" in astronomy books.

The physical universe looks pretty good, thank you for you help! I shall be checking it out :).

Thanks!

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and the universe as a whole. It uses principles of physics and math to study the behavior and interactions of stars, galaxies, planets, and other objects in space.

What skills are required to study astrophysics?

To study astrophysics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important. Good communication and teamwork skills are also necessary for collaborations with other scientists.

What are some potential career paths in astrophysics?

Some potential career paths in astrophysics include research and teaching positions at universities and research institutions, working as a data scientist or analyst for space missions and observatories, or working as a science communicator or writer.

What are some current research topics in astrophysics?

Some current research topics in astrophysics include studying the origins and evolution of the universe, understanding the properties of dark matter and dark energy, investigating exoplanets and their potential for life, and exploring the behavior of black holes and other extreme objects in space.

How can I get involved in astrophysics research?

To get involved in astrophysics research, one can pursue a degree in astrophysics or a related field, participate in internships or research programs, attend conferences and workshops, and network with other scientists in the field. It is also important to stay updated on current research and advancements in the field.