Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in Engineering

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    Hello this is my first post on here so first off i just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Jason and I'm 22 years old.

Well when i graduated high school i went to an aviation college because i thought i wanted to be a pilot, i loved flying but decided it wasn't the right job for me. So i dropped out joined the navy and did that for a bit, i was medically discharged and have been just working physical jobs for the past couple of years. I just recently had a surgery and i will no longer be able to do the jobs i was doing, so I'm taking this time while i recover to go back to school.

I will be start at a community college in a couple of weeks. for now I'm just going to take core classes so i can later transfer to a university. I've been trying hard to think lately about what I'd like to do with my life. for the past couple of years i always thought I'd just go get a business degree but I'm really not that interested in it. I've realized i really like a more hands on type of job, i don't want to just fill out paper work for a bank or large company. As a kid i wanted to be a "jet designer" and have always been interested in how things work (esp anything with a motor) so I'm thinking maybe engineering could be a good program for me to look into. My problem with it is, in high school i didn't do very well with math, i also didn't take high school as serious as i should have!!! i did all right with the sciences esp with the 2 electronics classes i took but i'm just curious if having trouble with maths will prevent me from being a good engineer? i only got to algebra II in high school and took college algebra in college. Any advice is welcome just trying to find a program that interests me, I'd rather enjoy work forever than just get a job and deal with it for the money.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2
    First off, it sounds as if you are unsure of what engineering discipline you are interested in pursuing. If that is the case i recommend the following link to get a broad overview of many engineering disciplines. Keep in mind these descriptions are very broad and i recommend doing further research on one that piques your interest.
    http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Second, just because you didn't take math very seriously in high school doesn't mean you can't take it seriously now and excel. Before I chose to pursue engineering I thought math was boring, didn't try very hard, and as a result falsely considered myself bad at math. Once I actually applied myself fully to learning math I found that I was actually quite good at it. My point here is that if really apply yourself the math won't hold you back.
    Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    Absolutely correct. Do not give up because you did not do well in high school. Passion and drive play a VERY huge role in all of this. If you did not have either in HS, then it is no wonder you did not do well in those classes.

I truly don't believe anyone can be "bad" at math innately. However, not having a good background in math will be very harmful in any area of engineering. Definitely work on that.

Good luck.

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4
    Thank you for the responses, and encourging words. Im hoping this time with a new attitude on learning that i will be able to focus and do much better in school! I don't know a ton about the different engineering disciplines so thank you for the link i'm going to do as much research as i can to learn about the different areas of engineering!

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5
    from reading the brief descriptions in the link i think mech engineering is what intrests me the most, since for most of my life anything with a motor has been what i'm interested in!

here is another question. Would getting a degree from a state school be useful or would it be better to look for an engineering school to go to? i ask because there is a great chance i can go to a state school for free since i'm a veteran.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6
    I would say that a state school would be just fine but in the end the choice is yours. If you can get some sort of veteran scholarship I would say take advantage of that.

When picking a school make sure the program you wish to enroll in is accredited. Here is the link: http://www.abet.org/
    Go to that website and click "Find an accredited Program". From there choose engineering, your discipline, etc.

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    thanks for that link, the school i'd be interested in going to has accredited so thats good news. And because im a veteran there is a good chance that i will be eligable for a tuition waiver :approve:

9. Jan 15, 2007 #8
    well i talked to a friend who had alot of engineering friends in college (he was a physics major) and he told me he didn't think i was cut out for engineering but i'm not gonna take that to heart because i don't think he's been in school with me since i was about 16-17 years old so he doesn't really have a whole lot to go off of. i've reached a point in my life where i'm realizing that i can do a whole lot more than i gave myself credit for, it just takes time and dedication.

10. Jan 15, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, you said you are going to go to a community college to get started, so here's what to do: take a couple of difficult math and science courses. Then you'll find out if you have the drive to do it.

11. Jan 15, 2007 #10
    thats exactly what i was thinking. see if i have the drive an paitence to get through something that may not come easy to me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook