Interested in how sound works from the 'human perception

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in understanding how sound works from the human perception side, specifically regarding the interaction of different sounds and harmonics. The concept of perceived loudness and pitch is also mentioned, with a mention of how the physical properties of sound correspond to these perceptual qualities. The person is seeking resources for further understanding on this topic.
KingNothing
Hi...I am very interested in how sound works from the 'human perception' side of it. I want to know how different sounds and harmonics interact...for example, two noises making 50dB of sound each, we do not hear 100dB of sound, yet it is more than 50. I want to know how our ears and mind work together to perceive different sounds.

I wish I could ask more specific questions, but I'm just looking for resources. ANY would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
Hi...I am very interested in how sound works from the 'human perception' side of it. I want to know how different sounds and harmonics interact... for example, two noises making 50dB of sound each, we do not hear 100dB of sound, yet it is more than 50. I want to know how our ears and mind work together to perceive different sounds.
I wish I could ask more specific questions, but I'm just looking for resources. ANY would be appreciated.
We can survey perceived differences between sounds (audible frequencies) and intensity or loudness (often measured in dB). By consensus, certain combinations of frequencies we perceive as pleasing (http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11953/latest/) and other combinations displeasing (dissonant).
For resource, here is some light reading...
reference
The physical properties of amplitude and frequency correspond to the sensory/perceptual qualities of loudness and pitch. It is often useful to maintain a clear distinction between the physical properties of sound and the perceptual correlates of those properties...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, I am glad to hear that you are interested in the human perception of sound. This is a fascinating topic that combines aspects of biology, psychology, and physics. To understand how different sounds and harmonics interact, we first need to understand the basic principles of sound.

Sound is a form of energy that travels in waves and can be perceived by our ears. These waves are created by vibrations in a medium, such as air, and travel through the air until they reach our ears. Our ears then convert these sound waves into electrical signals that are sent to our brain for processing.

One important factor in sound perception is the intensity or loudness of a sound, which is measured in decibels (dB). The human ear can detect sounds ranging from 0 dB (the threshold of hearing) to approximately 120 dB (the threshold of pain). However, our perception of loudness is not a direct reflection of the intensity of the sound. This is because our ears have a logarithmic response to sound, meaning that a doubling of sound intensity does not result in a doubling of perceived loudness. This is why, in your example, two noises of 50 dB do not result in a perceived loudness of 100 dB.

Another important factor in sound perception is the frequency or pitch of a sound. This is determined by the number of vibrations per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). Our ears can detect sounds ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, but our sensitivity to different frequencies varies. For example, we are more sensitive to sounds in the mid-frequency range (around 2,000 Hz) than we are to very low or very high frequencies.

Our perception of sound is also influenced by our brains and how they interpret the information sent from our ears. The brain can filter out background noise and focus on specific sounds, such as speech. It can also combine different sounds to create a more complex perception of sound, such as in the case of harmonics.

To further explore the human perception of sound, I recommend looking into the fields of psychoacoustics and auditory perception. These areas of study focus specifically on how our ears and brain work together to interpret sound. Some resources that may be helpful include books such as "The Psychology of Music" by Diana Deutsch and "The Science of Sound" by Thomas D. Rossing, as well as online courses or lectures from universities.

I hope this information helps guide your research on the fascinating topic

1. How does the human ear process sound?

The human ear is composed of three main parts: the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear. When sound waves enter the outer ear, they travel through the ear canal and reach the eardrum. The eardrum then vibrates, causing the three tiny bones in the middle ear (the hammer, anvil, and stirrup) to vibrate as well. These vibrations are then transmitted to the inner ear, where they are converted into electrical signals by tiny hair cells. These signals are then sent to the brain, where they are interpreted as sound.

2. How do we perceive different pitches and loudness of sound?

The pitch of a sound is determined by the frequency of the sound waves, which is measured in Hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch. Our perception of loudness is determined by the amplitude (or height) of the sound waves. The greater the amplitude, the louder the sound. The human ear is capable of perceiving a wide range of frequencies and amplitudes, allowing us to hear a variety of sounds.

3. Can humans hear all types of sound?

No, humans have a limited range of hearing. The average human can hear frequencies between 20Hz and 20,000Hz. As we age, our ability to hear high frequencies decreases. Additionally, some individuals may have hearing impairments that affect their ability to hear certain frequencies or sounds at all.

4. How does the brain interpret sound?

The brain plays a crucial role in how we perceive and interpret sound. As mentioned earlier, the electrical signals from the inner ear are sent to the brain, specifically to the auditory cortex. The auditory cortex then processes these signals and helps us recognize and differentiate between different sounds. Additionally, our brain also uses information from other senses, such as vision and touch, to help interpret and make sense of sound.

5. How can we protect our hearing from damage?

Exposure to loud noises can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in our inner ear, leading to hearing loss. To protect our hearing, it is important to limit exposure to loud noises, such as attending concerts or using headphones at high volumes. Additionally, wearing earplugs in noisy environments can also help prevent damage to our hearing. If you are consistently exposed to loud noises in your workplace, it is important to use proper hearing protection to prevent long-term damage to your hearing.