1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in Medical Physics

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    Hey guys. Is it possible to get a career in Medical Physics by majoring in physics (bachelors) and then mastering medical physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2
    The preferred route for medical physics (in the US or Canada) currently is completion of a CAMPEP approved graduate program and/or medical physics residency program. Because the list of approved programs is kind of short, completion of a CAMPEP program isn't a requirement yet, but probably will be in 5-10 years or so.

After that you'll be eligible to take the ABR or the ABMP certification exams. In Canada you'd probably want to take the CCPM certification exam.

Doing all that you'll be in a good position with just about all the clinical experience you need to get you started in a junior medical physics position in diagnostic radiology, nuclear medicine or radiation therapy.
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the info. Another question. I plan to attend University of Houston this fall. They offer a bachelors in physics with a concentration in Dosimetry. Should I do that or straight physics?
  5. Jan 15, 2006 #4
    I don't know much about the program at University of Houston, but I imagine the concentration in Dosimetry would give you a very good foundation to start a graduate program. It may be more geared to getting people started off as dosimetrists though, but that doesn't mean you also shouldn't do it if medical physics is your goal.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?