Interested in Quantum Computing

Hi,

I'm a second year physics major with specialization in computational physics, and I have recently become interested in quantum computing, and stuff dealing with computers like the memory cell nanoribbons made of graphene. I wanted know if I am currently pursing the best degree to get involved in that field, of if I should switch over to a major like Computer Engineering?

Thanks
Mike

Answers and Replies

From what I can tell, quantum computing is still in its early stages. As of now, a scalable quantum computer has not been built. A lot of research is focused on quantum information systems. That is, extracting information about the state of quantum systems, and using that data to perform computational operations with these quantum bits. There is not one decided basis for a quantum computer, but many in the running. Some candidates include: spin-based, Bose-Einstein Condensate-based, superconductor-based, and quantum dot-based. Given the variety and depth of these topics, it seems to me that physics is a much more appropriate degree than computer engineering. I do not think that an engineering curriculum would touch on any of these topics in any sort of detail. Either way, I think you need to count on pursuing graduate education to make any real contribution to quantum computing.

The Wikipedia article is pretty good on quantum computing, and provides some interesting outside sources. I got some of the above information from there. Also, while applying to graduate school, I read about quite a few physicists whose research provides possible groundwork for quantum computing. There were very few, however, who did direct research in quantum computing, so bear in mind that you may have to start (like I am) in quantum information science, and someday use those skills for quantum computing experiments.

You're only a second year; have you taken a quantum mechanics class, yet?

I am doing a study project on Quantum Computing, please suggest me some of the books which can give me the very basic knowledge of the area and about the Shor's algorithm.
So that i can understand the subject of Quantum Computing.
Thanking you

Suggested Books:
1. Joachim Stolze and Deiter Suter, Quantum Computing: A Short Course from Theory to Experiment Publisher: Wiley-VCH | ISBN: 3527404384 | edition 2004 | PDF | 246 pages

2. Molecular Realizations of Quantum Computing 2007, World Scientific Publishing Company | June 30, 2009 | ISBN: 9812838678 | 267 pages

3. Mikio Nakahara , Robabeh Rahimi , Akira SaiToh, Mathematical Aspects Of Quantum Computing 2007 (Linki University Series on Quantum Computing) PUBLISHER : World Scientific Publishing Company, iSBN : 978-9812814470, PAGES : 222 Pages

4. Nano, Quantum and Molecular Computing: Implications to High Level Design and Validation by Sandeep K. Shukla (Editor), R. Iris Bahar (Editor), ISBN-10 / ASIN: 1402080670 | ISBN-13 / EAN: 9781402080678 | Publisher: Springer | Number Of Pages: 358

5. Quantum Computing and Communications : An Engineering Approach by Sandor Imre,
ISBN-10 / ASIN: 047086902X | ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780470869024 |Publisher: Wiley | Number Of Pages: 314

6. Quantum Communication, Computing and Measurement 2 by Prem Kumar | ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0306463075 |ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780306463075 |Publisher: Springer| Number Of Pages: 548