What happens when F > 90N in Atwood problem?

In summary: So in the general case, if the force applied to the system is greater than T, then M will move backwards. If the force applied to the system is less than T, then M will move forwards.
physicsfox
Here’s a question for you all… but first some background

(see jpeg attachment for sketch)
double atwood.jpg

Assuming all surfaces are frictionless (5kg on horizontal surface, two 2kg blocks on 5kg block), and the pulley has no mass, with what horizontal force applied to the 5kg block will the two 2kg blocks remain in the same location relative to 5kg block? In other words, with what applied force, F, will the two 2kg blocks remains “fixed” against the 5kg block (relative acceleration 0)?

If the vertically hanging 2kg block is to remain at the same vertical position as the system accelerates to the right, then the tension above the hanging 2kg block will be equal to the Fg of the hanging 2 kg block. The Tension is 20N. The horizontal 2kg block is therefore being pulled to the right by the same T=20N. The acceleration of the 2kg block is then 10 m/s2 (F=ma). To create that 20N in the horizontal string, the system needs to accelerate at 10m/s2. Thus, F=90N. (F=ma=9kg*10m/s2).

Now the question. Assuming the above is correct, what would happen if the applied horizontal force was, let’s say, 100N? Qualitatively, the two 2kg blocks would not remain at the same position relative to the 5kg block. The horizontal 2kg block would move towards the back of the 5kg block, and the vertical 2 kg block would rise up. Would the two blocks have a relative acceleration? I would think so. But how would you quantify this acceleration? How would you quantify the acceleration of the 5kg block? Is the 100N pushing the entire mass (9kg), or does the relative acceleration of the two 2kg blocks have some affect that I am not considering?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so its asking for the Force that needs to be applied horizontally to the system so that the acceleration of the 2 masses (with respect to the block) is 0.

Think about tension in the horizontal and vertical parts of the chords.
Think about WHAT this horizontal force applied would accelerate.
Think about the acceleration of the top mass if the block were NOT moving. (this is the main point to think about).

Try to show some working please, we can't help much if we don't know how much you know. :wink:

Regards,
Sam

In response to "BerryBoy's" post, I have answered the original question, and have shown the detail in my original posting. As an extension to the original question, assuming that a 90N horizontal force is the force that will result in the atwood and the block having a relative acceleration of zero, what would the acceleration of the atwood be, relative to the 5kg block, if 100N is applied to the 5kg block? If the 2kg block on the front vertical edge of the block rises up... or accelerates up... wouldn't the tension be greater than 20N? And if so, how would you calculate this?

So, again, this is just an extension of a question I have already answered. I am just exploring the topic a little more. I would appreciate any thoughts about this question. Thanks.

Hi Physicsfox, nice problem.

I checked over your analysis and agree with it and your end result. The 90 N.

In the general case, the two small blocks move wrt the big block. When F > 90N, (with the mass values you specified) then the small blocks move "backwards" with an acceleration relative to the big block. And when F < 90, then they accelerate forwards relative to the big block.

When I solved this problem, I split up the accelerating force F, into two components, giving F = F' + T, where F' is the component of F that accelerates M and m2 (the hanging block) and T is the component of F that accelerates the m1 block (on top of M). T is also the tension in the string over the pulley.

1. What is the "Interesting Atwood Problem"?

The "Interesting Atwood Problem" is a thought experiment in classical mechanics that involves two masses connected by a string or rope passing over a pulley. It is named after the physicist George Atwood who first introduced the problem in 1784.

2. What is the purpose of the "Interesting Atwood Problem"?

The purpose of the "Interesting Atwood Problem" is to illustrate the concepts of equilibrium, tension, and acceleration in a system with multiple masses and a pulley. It is often used as a teaching tool in physics courses to help students understand these concepts.

3. How is the "Interesting Atwood Problem" solved?

The "Interesting Atwood Problem" can be solved using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up and solving equations for the forces on each mass in the system, the acceleration and tension in the string can be determined.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Interesting Atwood Problem"?

The "Interesting Atwood Problem" has many real-world applications, such as in elevator systems, cranes, and pulley systems used in construction. It can also be used to understand the mechanics of weightlifting and how muscles work to lift heavy objects.

5. How does friction affect the "Interesting Atwood Problem"?

Friction can have a significant impact on the "Interesting Atwood Problem" as it can change the tension in the string and the acceleration of the masses. In real-world situations, friction is always present and must be taken into account when solving the problem.