What Causes the Strange Effect on this Exit Sign?

In summary: I n summary, the author noticed an unusual effect on an exit sign above a door in their school and is not sure what could cause it. The effect is a play of light by the waves in the water-like illumination from a fluorescent light. There is no water in or near the vicinity of the sign, ruling out any potential causes such as a water droplet or flourescent tube. The effect is most likely caused by the flicker of the light bulb.
fawk3s
So today I noticed something pretty weird on an exit sign above a door in my school, looking somewhat like this:
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/exit_sign.jpg

The effect is pretty difficult to describe by words, since I didnt expect to see anything like that on it. But it looked somewhat like the effect you would get in a dim pool room in the ceiling when the light in the pool would be on - a nice play of light by the water waves.
And this effect was in the sign, which presumably has a fluorescent light behind it. Ofcourse the effect is only on the sign and there is no water whatsoever nearby, so please let's rule this out. What could cause this effect?

I have no good guess besides maybe that the fluorescent bulb might have a filament or something inside it, which makes contacts with the glass shield and acts somewhat like a plasma lamp would? I know, crazy theory, plus I haven't heard of any of these kinds of bulbs, but its the best one I've got so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
Light bulbs and tubes flicker, I've had some that do it and produce the effect you're talking about to varying degrees.

You can actually buy bulbs specifically designed to reproduce it.

Flourescent tubes don't have filaments.

jarednjames said:
Light bulbs and tubes flicker, I've had some that do it and produce the effect you're talking about to varying degrees.

You can actually buy bulbs specifically designed to reproduce it.

Flourescent tubes don't have filaments.

I know they dont, but I figured maybe it was a plasmalamp-like bulb in there, which wouldn't make much sense anyways so never mind.
But what is the effect actually caused by? It can't be just flickering.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

fawk3s said:
But what is the effect actually caused by? It can't be just flickering.

Why not?

I have an old ish bulb where the filament is particularly secure and any vibration causes a flickering effect.

But it doesn't look anything like flickering nor vibration, these are slowish, looking somewhat ordered waves. I can't really imagine how a vibration could cause that, especially as they are slow-looking waves.

Its prob caused by the flicker of the bulb, all bulbs do this as ac power has an off phase in its wave, added to the after image caused by your eyes delayed reaction to the flicker

Yeah, fluorescent lights can do that. They flicker at twice the mains frequency, so it's not normally visible. But old ones can start flickering more or cause the patterns you saw. I think it's because you get some resonance with the ballast circuit that's not supposed to be there, normally. Same thing can cause them to make noise.Why is the guy on the sign wearing a cape?

This exit sign is hilarious. That guy's bolting for the door. It should be the bathroom sign instead.

1. What is the "interesting exit sign effect"?

The "interesting exit sign effect" refers to a phenomenon in which people tend to notice and remember exit signs more frequently when they are in unfamiliar or stressful situations, such as during a fire drill.

2. Why is this effect considered interesting?

This effect is considered interesting because it highlights the role of situational factors in our perception and memory. It also has practical implications for the design and placement of exit signs in buildings.

3. Is this effect supported by scientific research?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on the "interesting exit sign effect" which have consistently found that people are more likely to remember exit signs during stressful situations compared to non-stressful situations.

4. What are the potential implications of this effect?

The potential implications of this effect include the importance of having clear and visible exit signs in buildings, especially in emergency situations. It also highlights the need for further research on the role of situational factors in our perception and memory.

5. How can this effect be applied in real-world situations?

This effect can be applied in real-world situations by using it to improve the design and placement of exit signs in buildings. It can also be used in emergency preparedness training to help people remember the location of exit signs in case of a real emergency.