Interesting experiment with night vision IR scope

In summary, a night vision IR scope works by using an infrared illuminator and an image intensifier tube to amplify and convert invisible light into a visible image. Using this technology in experiments allows for observation in low light or total darkness, but proper safety precautions should be taken. It can be used for long-term experiments, but its range and restrictions may need to be considered.
DarioC
I have a hand held night vision scope (Russian made I suspect.) Came with a small Solid State IR "lamp." The IR source is separate and battery powered.

It has a built in hand operated charger that you squeeze several times and it will hold a "charge" on the sensor for a while and then slowly fade out when viewing low ambient visible scene or one well lit with the IR source. It produces the typical green display through a monocular viewing eyepiece.

I restricted the aperture of the IR source to about .030 inch diameter and covered it with four layers of dark trash bag plastic. I could still see the light from the IR source reflecting off the floor in a interior closed off room using the scope.

I added four more layers. (For reference, at about 7 layers a red pointer laser becomes blocked to a dark adapted eye.)

I then turned the source on (in the very dark room) and pointed it at the scope from about a foot away and pumped the charger several times.

Every time the charge comes up to peak the scope display through the eyepiece will give 2 or 3 distinct blinks, then nothing until you pump it again and then it will blink exactly the same, the blinks taking place in about a second. These are very short, sharp flashes that light up the entire viewing "screen."

Is it possible I am seeing what I think I might be seeing.

Comments appreciated.

DC

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello DC,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your night vision scope. It sounds like you have a good understanding of how it works and have made some modifications to improve its performance.

Based on your description, it is possible that you are seeing the IR source reflecting off of the interior surfaces of the scope, causing the distinct blinks you are observing. This is because the IR light emitted from the source is not completely blocked by the layers of plastic and is still able to reflect off of the interior surfaces.

It is also possible that the blinks you are seeing are a result of the charging mechanism in the scope, as you mentioned that they occur when you pump the charger. This could be a built-in feature to indicate when the scope is fully charged.

Without more information or being able to examine the scope myself, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer. I would recommend consulting the manufacturer's instructions or reaching out to their customer service for more information on the blinking lights and their purpose.

Overall, it is great that you are experimenting and making modifications to your night vision scope. I always encourage people to explore and test their equipment to better understand how it works. Keep up the good work and happy exploring!

1. How does a night vision IR scope work?

A night vision IR scope works by using a combination of an infrared illuminator and an image intensifier tube. The infrared illuminator emits light that is invisible to the human eye, but the image intensifier tube can detect it and amplify it. This amplified light is then converted into an image that is visible to the user.

2. What are the benefits of using a night vision IR scope in experiments?

Using a night vision IR scope in experiments allows researchers to observe and record activities in low light or total darkness. This can be especially useful in studying nocturnal animals or conducting experiments that require controlled lighting conditions.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using a night vision IR scope?

While night vision IR scopes are generally safe to use, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. The infrared light emitted by the scope can be harmful to the eyes if viewed directly, so it is important to wear appropriate eye protection. Additionally, it is important to be aware of any potential hazards in the environment, such as uneven terrain or obstacles, when using a night vision IR scope in the dark.

4. Can a night vision IR scope be used for long-term experiments?

Yes, a night vision IR scope can be used for long-term experiments. However, it is important to regularly check and maintain the equipment to ensure it is functioning properly. It is also important to have a reliable power source for the scope, as it requires a significant amount of power to operate.

5. Are there any limitations to using a night vision IR scope in experiments?

One limitation of using a night vision IR scope in experiments is its range. The effectiveness of the scope may decrease at longer distances, so it is important to consider this when setting up the experiment. Additionally, the use of a night vision IR scope may be restricted in certain areas or for certain types of research, so it is important to check any regulations or guidelines before using one.