Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting experiment with night vision IR scope

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    I have a hand held night vision scope (Russian made I suspect.) Came with a small Solid State IR "lamp." The IR source is separate and battery powered.

It has a built in hand operated charger that you squeeze several times and it will hold a "charge" on the sensor for a while and then slowly fade out when viewing low ambient visible scene or one well lit with the IR source. It produces the typical green display through a monocular viewing eyepiece.

I restricted the aperture of the IR source to about .030 inch diameter and covered it with four layers of dark trash bag plastic. I could still see the light from the IR source reflecting off the floor in a interior closed off room using the scope.

I added four more layers. (For reference, at about 7 layers a red pointer laser becomes blocked to a dark adapted eye.)

I then turned the source on (in the very dark room) and pointed it at the scope from about a foot away and pumped the charger several times.

Every time the charge comes up to peak the scope display through the eyepiece will give 2 or 3 distinct blinks, then nothing until you pump it again and then it will blink exactly the same, the blinks taking place in about a second. These are very short, sharp flashes that light up the entire viewing "screen."

Is it possible I am seeing what I think I might be seeing.

Comments appreciated.

DC

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted