Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Gun Safety Lesson

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, maybe not great marks for technical merit, but high marks for style and definitely very high marks for dedication. What a trooper!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html (Click the picture for the video)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw this on youtube or something similar. I can't believe the guy is suing because was it not his responsibility to check the gun was free of ammo before he lectured in front of kids?

But yes in terms of pure shock therapy for the school kids I suppose this was one of his better presentations.

4. Sep 11, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Where does it say that? All I see is that he's suing because the tape was released to the public.

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, he's suing because of the video being released to the public.

I guess you can expect people to make fun of him, just like people made fun of Cheney, but it really gets to the heart of why gun safety is important. Anyone can have an accident.

I was just impressed he kept trying to continue the lesson - at least until he saw the terror of the audience when he brought out the next gun. :rofl:

6. Sep 11, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh. Lesson Learned: read more than just the headline.

7. Sep 11, 2006 #6
    He was a idiot, plain and simple.

8. Sep 11, 2006 #7
    was? a zebra doesn't change its spots.

9. Sep 11, 2006 #8
    stripes you dumb dumb, stripes.

10. Sep 11, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe this is the sort of person we have "educating" our children. "I'm da only one in dis room pro-fessional enough to BLAM" In fact, I can't even believe these geniuses brought any ammunition, at all, into that classroom.

- Warren

11. Sep 11, 2006 #10
    Very educational.

12. Sep 11, 2006 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One could say, with that line he shot himself in the foot literally and metaphorically.

13. Sep 11, 2006 #12
    HAH!!! :rofl:

14. Sep 11, 2006 #13
    I'm not taking my clothes off for anyone.

15. Sep 11, 2006 #14
    That would be strips, not stripes.

16. Sep 11, 2006 #15
    a building for dead people? what does that have anything to do with guns?

17. Sep 11, 2006 #16
    One of these days trib......straight to the moon!!

18. Sep 11, 2006 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm feeling sorry for the guy. Everything else he has done is overshadowed by this incident. But jeeze. Loaded Gun? Safety off? In front of kids? He really blew it. For at least one moment in time, everyone is an idiot. His moment is being played all over the web.

The kids should have had a chance to see a guy like that on the "right side" of law and order, but instead they saw an "idiot."

19. Sep 11, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: I was impressed he held it together long enough to continue talking, but thought he was just going to stop after he explained that bit about anyone can have an accident, and that's why they shouldn't play with guns. I figured he just continued to that point not to frighten the kids more than they already were. But, then to keep going...:eek:

But, yeah, he doesn't exactly talk like someone you'd want educating your kids. Everything looked a bit disorganized from the start, like he'd never done an educational thing before. And, to bring a loaded weapon into a classroom and hold it up...stupid stupid stupid!!!!

Though, it sounds like the main reason he's suing about the video being released is that he can no longer work undercover, but doesn't going out and giving public talks sort of blow your cover too?

20. Sep 11, 2006 #19
    I dont think he knew it was loaded.

21. Sep 11, 2006 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First thing my daddy taught me about guns --- every gun is always loaded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?