1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Integral problem

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [tex]f[/tex] is continuous and [tex]F(x)=\int_a^x f(t)dt[/tex] bounded on [tex][a,b)[/tex]. Given [tex]g>0, g'\geq 0[/tex] and [tex]g'[/tex] locally integrable on [tex][a,b)[/tex] and [tex]lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} g(x) =[/tex] infinity. prove
    for p>1
    [tex]\displaystyle{lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]^p} \int^x_a f(t)g(t)dt = 0}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If you know [tex]lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} g(x) =\infty[/tex], don't you also know [tex]lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]} = 0[/tex] and therefore [tex]lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]^p}=0[/tex]...so we're done? But the hint says to use parts so I dont know :(
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

thats only the case if the integral is bounded, so you should try & show that...

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    How would I show an integral is bounded? If I know obviously [tex]\int_a^x f(t)dt[/tex] is bounded, how would I know anything about the g function. The information given basically denies that its bounded right? Since the limit is infinity? I'm so lost!

5. May 8, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

have you tried the suggested hint?

6. May 8, 2010 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

also, bounded would show it, but I think a lesser constraiint may also work, either way I would try simplifying things by using integration by parts

7. May 8, 2010 #6
    When I tried parts, i let u= g(t) and dv = f(t)dt so du = g'(t)dt and v = F(t) and I got

[tex]\displaystyle{lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]^p} \int^x_a f(t)g(t)dt = lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]^p} (g(x)F(x) -g(a)F(a)- \int^x_a F(t)g'(t)dt)}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{= lim_{ x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{[g(x)]^p} (g(x)F(x) - \int^x_a F(t)g'(t)dt)}[/tex]
    since F(a) = 0

Can I reduce further...?

8. May 8, 2010 #7
    i see it now, using parts helped a lot, thanks

i'm suppose to follow it up with this addition:

assume further that [tex]\int^b_a f(t)dt[/tex] converges and show [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)} \int_a^x f(t)g(t)dt = 0[/tex]

i used parts again and came down to the fact:

[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)} \int_a^x f(t)g(t)dt = lim_{x \rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)} \int_a^x F(t)g'(t)dt[/tex]

how do i show, for sure, this =0?

9. May 9, 2010 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

how about usng the fact that F is bounded, g'>0 and setting up an inequality which squeezes your expression to zero?

10. May 9, 2010 #9
    The entire expression, or just the integral part? Could I do:

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)} \leq lim_{x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)} \int^x_a F(t)g'(t)dt \leq lim_{x\rightarrow b^-} \int^x_a M g'(t)dt[/tex]

where the right hand side becomes

[tex]=lim_{x\rightarrow b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)}M(g(x)-g(a))[/tex]
    [tex]=lim_{x\rightarrow b^-} M(1-\frac{g(a)}{g(x)})[/tex]

But how does this squeeze to 0? or am i looking at it wrong?

11. May 9, 2010 #10

lanedance

Homework Helper

the 2nd half of the equality is looking good, but i think you dropped a factor of p somewhere, maybe you could assume [itex]p = 1+\epsilon, \epsilon>0[/itex]

you may need to tighten it up by accounting for the case when M<0, ie by starting from [itex] \exists M > 0 : |F(x)|<M,\forall x \in [a,b)[/itex]

12. May 9, 2010 #11
    but there's no p in the second part of the problem...?

13. May 9, 2010 #12
    This is the second part...

14. May 9, 2010 #13

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok sorry, i missed the 2nd part, so you're ok with the first bit now?

so if i integrate by parts I get a little different:
    [tex] \lim_{x \to b^-} \frac{1}{g(x)}\int_a^x dt f(t)g(t) [/tex]
    [tex] = \lim_{x \to b^-}\frac{1}{g(x)}(F(t)g(t)|_a^x - \int_a^x dt F(t)g'(t))[/tex]
    [tex] = \lim_{x \to b^-}(F(x)-\frac{F(a)g(a)}{g(x)} - \frac{1}{g(x)}\int_a^x dt F(t)g'(t))[/tex]

using convergence of F as x->b, then
    [tex] = F(b) - \lim_{x \to b^-}\frac{1}{g(x)}\int_a^x dt F(t)g'(t)[/tex]
    so working this line, i guess you need to try & show the limit of the end expression is F(b)...

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  15. May 9, 2010 #14

lanedance

Homework Helper

i haven't totally worked it out, but it may help to try and show for any a<x0<b
    [tex] \lim_{x \to b^-}\frac{1}{g(x)}\int_a^{x_0} dt F(t)g'(t) = 0[/tex]
    noting that as g' is locally integrable, it means g is defined on the interval [a,b), ie. it doesnt explode anywhere

then try splitting the integral into separate portions & considering the continuity of the function f on a small region near to b. (though i could see this might get tricky with double limits....)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook