1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Maths Puzzle

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1
    "Yes, when I take my dog for a walk," said a mathematical friend, "he frequently supplies me with some interesting puzzle to solve. One day, for example, he waited, as I left the door, to see which way I should go, and when I started he raced along to the end of the road, immediately returning to me; again racing to the end of the road and again returning. He did this four times in all, at a uniform speed, and then ran at my side the remaining distance, which according to my paces measured 27 yards. I afterwards measured the distance from my door to the end of the road and found it to be 625 feet. Now, if I walk 4 miles per hour, what is the speed of my dog when racing to and fro?"

- An interesting puzzle for you guys to figure out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2007 #2
    The only thing puzzling about this is what does it have to do with quantum physics?

4. Jun 2, 2007 #3
    Unless it might help unify Particle Physics with GR astrophysics - -
    If not, we should stick with Lee Smolin and other quantum gravity ideas, and maybe someone can move this to the General - Brain Teasers forum.

5. Jun 3, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Boring. I first saw this puzzle 25 years ago. Easy to solve using LQG.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?