Interesting Maths for High Schoolers | Learn Offbeat Maths

• Thread starter Solidmozza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, a high school student is looking for offbeat math to learn and is recommended to read "The Music of the Primes" which covers number theory, including the work of Gauss and Riemman. Other suggestions include Modulo Arithmetic and p-adic numbers, which can be found in introductory books on Number Theory.
Solidmozza
Hi,
I didnt know where to exactly put this thread (since it is partially high-school related) so I put it here.
Im in my last year in high school at the moment and want to learn some maths that you don't ordinarily do in high school - something offbeat or such. I am really not sure where a good place to start is, so any suggestions of things that I could learn that would be interesting would be very helpful.
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I hope you should put this thread in academic section

I'm a freshman in college now, and majoring in mathematics. Last year I felt the same way- I wanted to learn something a little different than standard calculus.. so I started reading books on number theory. I highly recommend the book 'the music of the primes'. It is easy to follow and takes you through many results of number theory, including the work of Gauss and Riemman.

If you aren't sure you're into number theory, you can find many books in the scientific american book club for decent prices covering many areas of maths.

Solidmozza said:
Hi,
I didnt know where to exactly put this thread (since it is partially high-school related) so I put it here.
Im in my last year in high school at the moment and want to learn some maths that you don't ordinarily do in high school - something offbeat or such. I am really not sure where a good place to start is, so any suggestions of things that I could learn that would be interesting would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Modulo Arithmetic is really within reach of a high school student, and can be used to do some really neat things. You could check it out in some introductory Number Theory book.

I would suggest p-addic numbers, which i find fascinating, and are understandable by a high school student (perhaps not otrogradsky's therorem, but..)

The definition of the distance btw p-addic number is the most difficult thing, but what a joy when you realize that there can be other distances than the usual |a-b| !

Got that book - The music of the Primes.. Its a really interesting book that fits the bill so perfectly. Thanks for recommending it!
~Ill be looking into P-adic numbers too sometime soon! Thanks again

1. What makes maths interesting for high schoolers?

High schoolers often find maths interesting when it is presented in a unique or unconventional way. This could include real-world applications, puzzles and games, or exploring mathematical concepts outside of the traditional curriculum.

2. How can offbeat maths benefit high school students?

Offbeat maths can help high school students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as improve their overall understanding and appreciation for mathematics. It can also make the subject more engaging and fun for students who may struggle with traditional teaching methods.

3. What are some examples of offbeat maths?

Offbeat maths can include topics such as fractals, infinity, topology, and game theory. It can also involve exploring mathematical patterns and connections in nature, art, and music.

4. Is it important to learn offbeat maths as a high schooler?

While it may not be a necessary part of the high school math curriculum, learning offbeat maths can expand a student's understanding of mathematics and introduce them to new and interesting concepts. It can also help develop critical thinking skills that are valuable in many areas of life.

5. How can students learn about offbeat maths?

There are many resources available for students to learn offbeat maths, including books, online courses, and workshops. Students can also explore these topics on their own by researching and experimenting with different mathematical concepts and applications.