1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting new concept car-runs on compressed air

1. Jul 18, 2004 #1
    Interesting new concept car-runs on compressed "air"

link here : http://www.theaircar.com/

thoughts ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it telling that the link to the 'thermodynamics' details is dead.

Who knows though. There is nothing that says that compressed air couldn't be used to power a car, it's just a matter of harvestable energy.

4. Jul 18, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

The website says: "Although a number dates have been released to the media in the past, the programme required some more time to complete."

That is usually not a good sign.

5. Jul 18, 2004 #4
    So lets see if I've got this right. I don't know how much energy can be extracted from compressed gas, but my guess is PV/2. (Correct me if I'm horribly wrong) The tank is 100 litres [tex](0.1m^3)[/tex] at 300 atmospheres [tex](3.10^7 pascals)[/tex]. That gives 1.5 megajoules of energy (less than half a kilowatt hour). A car battery can hold more than twice as much and a single litre of petrol gives more than ten times as much. They claim to be able to do 300 km, so thats 5000 J/km. When cycling I would expect to use about [tex]10^5 J/km[/tex]. Must be an amazing design! :uhh:

6. Jul 18, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jul 19, 2004 #6
    Hi sry i am relatively new here. I didn't know this was posted here before.

8. Jul 21, 2004 #7
    it should probably work the same basic way as a steam engine, as that just heats wather to make compressed water vapor

9. Jul 24, 2004 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And a petrol engine effectively does the same thing too, - heating air to compress it (in a roundabout kinda way), the resulting expansion driving a piston. The key difference is the way the air, steam or whatever, is given its energy.

10. Jul 24, 2004 #9
    Many years ago I heard Paul Harvey hype such a thing. It was bragged up and was mentioned that it's emissions were non-existant. I thought it was goofy at the time and I still do. Energy of some sort is spent on compressing the air to begin with.

11. Jul 24, 2004 #10
    using wing effect technology, what would be the best thrust motor. one that is in the front or in the back of the aircraft.
    how could one get a higher level of flight from the use of wig technology?

12. Jul 24, 2004 #11
    :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?