1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting phenomenen

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    The other day I was working in the lab and observed a very interesting fluid dynamic thing in a beaker:

I was cooking acetone on a hot plate to clean a sample, then I see little bubbles on the surface bouncing around. The strange thing is that those bubbles act EXACTLY like a ball on a frictionless surface! They never decelerate (or accelerate for that matter), just travel on a straight line, when ever they hit a obstacle (beaker wall/ sample) they will be bounced back like a tennis ball hitting a wall.

That bubbles don't slow down due to friction really bug me. I guess the evaporation provides energy for the motion in a reinforced kind of way to maintain the pattern. Maybe it count as a soliton? And there should be no convection when this happens.

I tried to repeat this with 2-propenal, nothing like that happens. With Aceton it works every time. Maybe Acetone has the exact right viscosity/evaporation rate...?

So can anyone explain the detailed mechanism? Or it's been done before?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted