Interesting physics question

In summary, the conversation discusses the Stirling approximation, which is used to approximate the sum of logarithms of numbers. This approximation becomes more accurate as the numbers become larger. The difference between absolute and relative error is also explained, with the rule of thumb that absolute errors add when adding measurements and relative errors add when multiplying measurements. The conversation also shows an example of how the Stirling approximation can be applied to approximate the sum of logarithms.
asdf1
! question...

Why does lnX!=XlnX-X?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
:confused:?
[tex]\ln{1!} = \ln1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]1\ln1 - 1 = 1 \times 0 - 1 = -1[/tex]
So 0 = -1??
Viet Dao,

I think you're referring to the Stirling approximation:

[tex]\ln n! = \ln 1 + \ln 2 + \ldots + \ln n = \sum_{k=1}^{n}\ln k \approx \int_1^n \ln x dx = n \ln n - n + 1 \approx n \ln n - n[/tex]

where the approximation gets relatively better when n becomes larger.

What you said was "Why does lnX!=XlnX-X?". Now you tell us not only did you NOT mean "ln X!= X ln X- X, but you also tell us that you already KNOW the answer to your (unstated) question. What was your purpose in posting that?

he means antiderivative maybe. answer: check it.

What is the relation between energy & time period of a simple pendulam while not considering the small angle approximation? Please show the graph also them.

problem on SHM

undefined :rofl:

?
i am referring to the Stirling approximation(sorry, i forgot to add that at the end of my question)...
i saw that equation in the "advanced engineering mathematics" book by kreyszig as part of the solution to a problem...
but what i wonder is how did the stirling approximation come from?

asdf1 said:
?
i am referring to the Stirling approximation(sorry, i forgot to add that at the end of my question)...
i saw that equation in the "advanced engineering mathematics" book by kreyszig as part of the solution to a problem...
but what i wonder is how did the stirling approximation come from?
[tex]\log(x!)=\sum_{n=1}^x \log(n) \sim \int_0^x \log(t) dt=x\log(x)-x[/tex]
where ~ here means goes to asymptotically for large x
that is the integral becomes a good approximation of the sum as x becomes large.

Last edited:
Why? That's the part that I don't understand...

You can approximate the sum by an integral. If you draw a graph, the sum [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{x}\ln x[/itex] is equal to the area of x rectangles, each of width 1. The heights are ln(1),ln(2),...,ln(x).
So you can approximate this area by the integral [itex]\int_1^x \ln t dt[/itex]. Drawing a picture may help.

asdf1 said:
Why? That's the part that I don't understand...
It is a Riemann sum we partition (0,x) into (we assume here x is a natural number)
[0,1],[1,2],[2,3],...,[n-2,n-1],[n-1,n]
and chose as the point of evaluation for each interval the right boundry
we can consider one term in the Reimann sum as an approximation to the integral over the region of the term.
[tex]\log(n) \sim \int_{n-1}^n \log(x)dx=\log(e^{-1}(1+\frac{1}{n-1})^{n-1}n)[/tex]
clearly this will be a good approximation if x is large and not so good is n is not large. Thus the approximation over (0,x) cannot make up for its poor start, but the relative error gets better and better. So we have asymptodic convergence. The absolute error will never be small, but the relative error will. Often since x! grows rapidly we do not mind the absolute error being high (or moderate) so long as the relative error is low.

Last edited:
thanks! It makes a lot more sense now...
but there's still one I don't get:
What's the difference between the absolute and relative error?

?? That's a completely different question!

Suppose in measuring a distance of 100 meters, I make an error of 10 cm.

The absolute error is 10 cm. The relative error is that "relative" to the entire measurement: 10 cm/100m = 0.1 m/100m= 0.001 (and, of course, has no units).

There is an Engineering rule of thumb: when you add measurements, the absolute errors add. When you multiply measurements, the relative errors add.

That is, if I measure distance y with absolute error at most Δy and distance x with absolute error at most Δx, then the true values of x and y might be as low as x- Δx and y- Δy. The true value of x+ y might be as low as (x-Δx)+(y-Δy)= (x+y)- (Δx+Δy) The true values of x and y might be as large as x+&Deltax and y+Δy. The true value of x+ y might be as large as (x+Δx)+ (y+Δy)= (x+y)+(Δx+Δy). That is, the error in x+y might be as large as Δx+ Δy.

On the other hand, if I multiply instead of adding, the true value of xy might be as low as (x- Δx)(y- Δy)= xy- (xΔy+ yΔx)+ (ΔxΔy) which, ignoring the "second order" term ΔxΔy (that's why this is a "rule of thumb" rather than an exact formula), is xy- (xΔy+ yΔy). The true value of xy might be as large as xy+ (xΔy+ xΔx). The absolute error might be as large as xΔy+ yΔx which depend on x and y as well as the absolute errors Δx and Δy. However, the "relative" error in xy is (xΔy+ yΔx)/xy= Δy/y+ Δx/x, the sum of the two relative errors in x and y.

asdf1 said:
thanks! It makes a lot more sense now...
but there's still one I don't get:
What's the difference between the absolute and relative error?
like HallsofIvy said
absolute error=|approximate-exact|
relative error=|approximate-exact|/exact
think about approximating (x+1)^2 with x^2 for large
the relative error becomes small
the absolute error grows
the approximation
log(x!)~log(x)-x
does the same

thanks! :)

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of large objects with predictable movements, while quantum physics describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level with uncertain movements.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that objects with mass cause a curvature in space-time, and this curvature is what we experience as gravity.

3. What is the speed of light and why is it considered a universal constant?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered a universal constant because it is the maximum speed at which all things in the universe can travel, according to Einstein's theory of special relativity.

4. What is the Higgs Boson and why is it important?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give mass to other particles. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics. Understanding the Higgs Boson and its role in the universe is crucial in furthering our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

5. What is the relationship between energy and matter?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², energy and matter are equivalent and can be converted into each other. Matter can be converted into energy through processes such as nuclear fusion, while energy can be converted into matter through processes such as pair production. This relationship is one of the key principles in modern physics.