What is the connection between a windmill, a Roman fort, and a treasure hunt?

In summary, Arildno has found Roman coins around the windmill site, and the laws of "treasure trove" vary in different countries.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Cool!
Mint condition, or what?

They vary in condition most have some definition.

Arildno, what are the laws of," treasure trove", in your country ?

wolram said:
Arildno, what are the laws of," treasure trove", in your country ?
Some convoluted version of finder's keepers, I think, but I cannot say for sure.

wolram said:
They vary in condition most have some definition.
Can some of them be dated?

arildno said:
Some convoluted version of finder's keepers, I think, but I cannot say for sure.

I think the laws in our country are crazy, most if not all sites like the roman
fort site are protected, which i agree with whole heartedly, but most of the
archeaology under way is," salvage archeaology", which means only doing a
dig if the site is in danger, ie from development, so most of these sites will rot away.

arildno said:
Can some of them be dated?

Yes the dates cover the occupation time of the fort.

wolram said:
I think the laws in our country are crazy, most if not all sites like the roman
fort site are protected, which i agree with whole heartedly, but most of the
archeaology under way is," salvage archeaology", which means only doing a
dig if the site is in danger, ie from development, so most of these sites will rot away.
That's the way in Norway as well.
Simply put, not sufficient means are given to archeologists to dig out interesting sites in a sufficient time-span. I agree, it is very sad.

I think, however, that the archeologists themselves are somewhat to blame here, sitting and waiting for public means.
After all, the great archeological excavations during the 19th century were all privately financed; maybe the archeologists themselves should try to garner interest for their subject among the very rich.

but one thing has always confused me.

norway the land of mid-night sun!
how can u see it?

arildno said:
That's the way in Norway as well.
Simply put, not sufficient means are given to archeologists to dig out interesting sites in a sufficient time-span. I agree, it is very sad.

I think, however, that the archeologists themselves are somewhat to blame here, sitting and waiting for public means.
After all, the great archeological excavations during the 19th century were all privately financed; maybe the archeologists themselves should try to garner interest for their subject among the very rich.

An example of our laws. If archeaology is discovered on a site that is being developed the owner of that site foots the bill for the dig, even if it is a private
owner.

I have a few very secret Native American sites near me, I won't even go near them if people are around. I have found quite a few artifacts.
A few years back the Army corp made a flood plain in a local city field, they claim they didn't know that the little over grown hills there were burial mounds, until they washed away*. As kids we knew they were there, and we were told they were protected, and not to mess with them.

* the remains have now been re-interred

hypatia said:
I have a few very secret Native American sites near me, I won't even go near them if people are around. I have found quite a few artifacts.
A few years back the Army corp made a flood plain in a local city field, they claim they didn't know that the little over grown hills there were burial mounds, until they washed away*. As kids we knew they were there, and we were told they were protected, and not to mess with them.

* the remains have now been re-interred

What sort of stuff have you found hypatia ?

Oregon Vortex

Some day I intend to explore this place, it's only 4 hours drive from where I live...

oregon vortex

Kerrie said:
Some day I intend to explore this place, it's only 4 hours drive from where I live...

oregon vortex

Does Ivan know about this place ? looks cool, you will have to tell all
after you have been.

I have found pottery, grinding bowls, war hammers, bird points,arrow heads, copper bits. I plan to leave it as a collection to a Michigan tribal museum, along with the site layout map I've made.

Kerrie said:

oregon vortex

Never been there, but have visited the exact same thing outside of Columbia Falls, MT...
http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordId=268&SiteId=1

Janus said:
Never been there, but have visited the exact same thing outside of Columbia Falls, MT...
http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordId=268&SiteId=1

Did you find an explanation ??

The Florida http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/OPG/paynesprairie/photos/visitors/PAP-LaChuaTrail-DominickMartino.jpg State Reserve Park is quite an interesting place. Coming from the interstate and from a local highway, the entire area is a flat freshwater swamp.

Quite beautiful, actually. I have to check it out later during a weekend.

Since my Dad used to work http://www.ieee.ca/ccece06/images/Parliament_Hill.jpg for a Conservative Member of Parliament, I had a pass so that I could go anywhere.:biggrin: I felt so special. Beautiful building, if you ever come to Ottawa be sure to take a tour.

wolram said:
Did you find an explanation ??

It's been years since I been there, But after a little research, it appears to just be a series of opitical illusions. What you need is a hill slope that has undergone some slippage such that the trees don't grow vertically. Then you place a bulding on this slope, which itself is tilted at an angle to the vertical.

This has the effect of confusing your visual perception of what direction "up" is. Since we rely so much on our vision, the visual clues tend to override our sense of balance clues. Thus when you stand in the building, it "feels'" like you have to lean away from vertical to maintain your balance.

Another effect is the board that people stand on appear to grow and shrink depending on which end they stand. Another opitical illusion, caused by one end of the board being closer to the viewer than the other. The board is placed in such a way on the slope and with the buiding in the background such that its placement hides this fact. (Again, the visual clues are carefully arranged to fool you in thinking that you are an equal distance from each end of the board)

Kerrie said:

oregon vortex

Look in skeptecism and debunking for a thread about the 'mystery spot'. It looks very similar to this.

I have the Minar-e-Pakistan here in Lahore where I study, plus the old inner city and gates etc from the Mughal empire. I've never actually been to many of the places unfortunately :( Back in Peshawar where I live, I've been up to the Khyber Pass which leads into Afghanistan. To the north there are the Karakoram and Himalaya ranges, plus the beautiful valley of swat, and places like kalam and malamjabba (you HAVE to see its so beautful :bugeye: !). Haven't gone past swat though...hopefully I get time to go sometime this year. There are also the ruins of the second oldest civilization in the world in Harappa, Moenjodaro, and Taxila, as well as other places. There's also stuff lying around from the invasions of Alexander, the Muslims, the British, and the Mongols.

Hmm...I've never seen any of them! Damn I need to make some time and go see em huh. You can see some good pics here: http://www.pakistanpage.net/gallery/main/ and just scroll down to the pics section

Oh yes, and some good places I've been to:
Valley of Swat
Mecca (the Great Mosque + Kaaba)
Madina, the Mosque of the Prophet + his grave
Khyber Pass
Polo ground at Lahore
Faisal Mosque of Islamabad
Smokey Mountains of Tennessee
New York City (didnt go to the WTCs :cry: )
The Grand Canyon
San Diego Zoo
Meteor Crater
prolly some others I can't remember...

Place I really want to go:
All the scenic and historical places in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and India
China
Malaysia
Sears Tower, Space Needle, KSC and NASA HQ, Empire State Building
Australia
Jerusalem
France
Germany
and I forgot to mention Egypt of course! (edit)

Murphy's law of touristic attraction states that the attractiveness of a touristic site is directly proportional to the square of the distance between the person and the site. :smile:

EnumaElish said:
Murphy's law of touristic attraction states that the attractiveness of a touristic site is directly proportional to the square of the distance between the person and the site. :smile:

To true, every where i want go is the other side of the pond.

1. What is a windmill and how does it relate to a Roman fort and a treasure hunt?

A windmill is a structure that uses wind power to grind grain into flour. In the context of a Roman fort and a treasure hunt, a windmill may have been used to power machinery or tools for building or excavating the fort, or it may have been a landmark or clue in the treasure hunt.

2. Did windmills exist during the time of Roman forts?

No, windmills did not exist during the time of Roman forts. Windmills were first invented in the Middle East in the 9th century and were not introduced to Europe until the 12th century.

3. What is the significance of a Roman fort in relation to a treasure hunt?

A Roman fort may be significant in a treasure hunt as it may have been a location where valuable artifacts or treasures were hidden or stored. It may also serve as a clue or landmark in the treasure hunt.

4. Are there any known examples of a connection between a windmill, a Roman fort, and a treasure hunt?

Yes, there are some examples of this connection in literature and media. For example, in the novel "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, a windmill near a Roman fort serves as a clue in the treasure hunt for the Holy Grail.

5. How can the connection between a windmill, a Roman fort, and a treasure hunt be explained scientifically?

The connection between these three elements may be explained by historical and cultural influences. Windmills were not present during the time of Roman forts, but they may have been used in later periods to excavate or build on the site. The significance of a Roman fort in a treasure hunt may be due to its historical and cultural associations with wealth and treasure. Overall, the connection between these elements may be more literary or symbolic rather than scientific.

Back