Interesting problem from a Putnam student

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to a well-known theorem that states a prime p can be written as x^2+y^2 if p is one more than a multiple of 4. The problem asks to show that every prime one more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form x^2 + 16y^2 and that every prime five more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form (2x+y)^2 + 4y^2. The conversation also mentions that the person is having trouble with the problem because they have not taken a number theory course and are not familiar with mods. They ask for solutions to be provided. The conversation ends by suggesting to consider the
philosophking
I'm taking the Putnam next fall, and decided to pick up a copy of Larson's problem solving book for practice. I'm having trouble, though, with one of the problems. It goes as follows.

A well known theorem states that for a prime p>2, p=x^2+y^2 iff p is one more than a multiple of 4.

Show: every prime one more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form x^2 + 16y^2

:every prime five more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form (2x+y)^2 + 4y^2

In all of these, x,y are integers. I think what might be confusing me is that I haven't taken a number theory course yet, so I don't know too much about mods. But if anyone can post solutions for these (as step-by-step as you can get please!) that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd prefer you to think it up yourself: the two kinds of prime you're asked to consider are of the form given in the questio. consider whether you can deduce anything about the decomposition there, such as if anything is divisible by 2,4, or so on.

It's great that you are already preparing for the Putnam exam and seeking help with challenging problems. Number theory can definitely be a tricky subject, but with practice and guidance, you will be able to tackle these types of problems confidently.

For the first part of the problem, we want to show that every prime one more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form x^2 + 16y^2. Let's start by considering the theorem given in the problem statement: for a prime p>2, p=x^2+y^2 if and only if p is one more than a multiple of 4. We can rewrite this as p-1 = x^2+y^2.

Now, let's think about the numbers that are one more than a multiple of 8. These numbers can be written as 8k+1, where k is any integer. Using this, we can rewrite p-1 as:

p-1 = (8k+1)-1

= 8k

= 4(2k)

Since 2k is an integer, we can let it equal y^2 in our original equation, giving us:

p-1 = x^2 + y^2

= x^2 + 4(2k)

= x^2 + 16k

= x^2 + 16y^2

Therefore, we have shown that every prime one more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form x^2 + 16y^2.

For the second part of the problem, we want to show that every prime five more than a multiple of 8 can be written in the form (2x+y)^2 + 4y^2. Again, let's start by considering the theorem given in the problem statement. We know that for a prime p>2, p=x^2+y^2 if and only if p is one more than a multiple of 4. We can rewrite this as p-1 = x^2+y^2.

Now, let's think about the numbers that are five more than a multiple of 8. These numbers can be written as 8k+5, where k is any integer. Using this, we can rewrite p-1 as:

p-1 = (8k+5)-1

= 8k+4

= 4(2k+1

1. What is the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It was first held in 1938 and is organized by the Mathematical Association of America.

2. What kind of problems are typically found on the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam consists of 12 challenging mathematical problems, split into two 3-hour sessions. These problems cover a wide range of topics including algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics.

3. How difficult are the problems on the Putnam Exam?

The problems on the Putnam Exam are known to be extremely difficult, even for the most talented and experienced mathematics students. Many of the problems require creative thinking and advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

4. What are some strategies for preparing for the Putnam Exam?

Some common strategies for preparing for the Putnam Exam include practicing with past exams, working on challenging mathematical problems from various sources, and participating in study groups or workshops with other students.

5. How prestigious is the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam is considered to be one of the most prestigious undergraduate mathematics competitions in the world. It is highly regarded by both academic institutions and potential employers in fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering.