1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Problem, Not sure where to begin.

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    I need some help getting started on this one:

Sound waves of frequency 582 Hz enter a window 1.3m wide.

The window is in the exact center of one wall of a theater 24m by 12m.

The window is 12m from the opposite wall, along which is a row of seats occupied by people.

The theater is acoustically prepared to prevent the reflection of sound waves, and the speed of sound is 330 m/s.

Two people, on each side of a line directly in front of the window, in the row along the wall hear no sound.

What minimum distance are they from each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a 'single slit' diffraction problem. The first minima on the far wall will occur at a point x from the middle of the wall where [itex]x = \lambda L/a[/itex] where a is the slit width and L is the distance from the window to far wall.

I get 10.5 feet.

AM

4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    Wouldn't that correspond to the first maxima and not minima?

5. Dec 2, 2004 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the formula is for the first minima - this is single slit diffraction. You may be using double slit diffraction. I am sure you can check this.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?