Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting problems

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    I finished my undergraduate curriculum in physics and I'm out of school, working from home. School doesn't tell me what to do anymore.. I'm looking for an interesting problem I can work on, either a problem that could be solvable mathematically or some hands-on-experiments that I can do at home. Academic journals are still too hard for me. I will appreciate your suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
  4. Feb 25, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... I'm sorry, but DERIVE solid state physics?!!

Zz.

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4
    Well I did not mean to say he should do it all himself with no text books. I made the suggestion because solid state is not required as undergrad work at least in the few universities I am aware of.

6. Feb 25, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, what I meant to ask was, what in the world does it mean to "derive" solid state physics? Solid state physics is a field of study. You might as well say "derive plasma physics" or "derive physics". Solid state physics isn't a phenomenon, nor any one single thing.

Zz.

7. Feb 25, 2005 #6
    Your right I was not very clear. I am talking about the sort of work that was assigned in my undergrad solid state. He could start out with crystal small vibration in one dimension and work up to three dimensions. Different lattice structures with different basises.

For electronic solid state there is Fermi gas in a potential well. Put a lattice of structure in the well and see band gaps form.

These should be in the ability of anyone who has finished undergrad in physics. These models are not horrible accurate but still give a person a feel for concepts involved. Also if you start with the simple models and work your way up to the more complex models I think it helps people learn how to come up with their own models.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?