Solve Interesting Problems at Home - Post-Undergrad Physics

• Thread starter greatscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the speaker is a physics graduate who is currently working from home and looking for an interesting problem to work on. They are interested in both mathematically solvable problems and hands-on experiments that can be done at home. They mention that academic journals are still too difficult for them. One suggestion they make is to explore solid state physics, specifically by deriving concepts such as crystal vibrations and electronic structures in potential wells. They believe these concepts are within the ability of someone who has completed an undergraduate degree in physics and can help with developing one's own models.
greatscott
I finished my undergraduate curriculum in physics and I'm out of school, working from home. School doesn't tell me what to do anymore.. I'm looking for an interesting problem I can work on, either a problem that could be solvable mathematically or some hands-on-experiments that I can do at home. Academic journals are still too hard for me. I will appreciate your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something that has been solved? Or something new and prehaps unsolvable?

Derive solid state physics.

Experiments to build:
Cloud chamber
http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~adf4/cloud.html
Single Bubble Sonoluminescence
http://www.physik3.gwdg.de/~rgeisle/nld/sbsl-howto.html

other experiment resources
http://www.iit.edu/~rcoleman/apmanual.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Davorak said:
Something that has been solved? Or something new and prehaps unsolvable?

Derive solid state physics.

Er... I'm sorry, but DERIVE solid state physics?!

Zz.

Well I did not mean to say he should do it all himself with no textbooks. I made the suggestion because solid state is not required as undergrad work at least in the few universities I am aware of.

Davorak said:
Well I did not mean to say he should do it all himself with no textbooks. I made the suggestion because solid state is not required as undergrad work at least in the few universities I am aware of.

No, what I meant to ask was, what in the world does it mean to "derive" solid state physics? Solid state physics is a field of study. You might as well say "derive plasma physics" or "derive physics". Solid state physics isn't a phenomenon, nor anyone single thing.

Zz.

Your right I was not very clear. I am talking about the sort of work that was assigned in my undergrad solid state. He could start out with crystal small vibration in one dimension and work up to three dimensions. Different lattice structures with different basises.

For electronic solid state there is Fermi gas in a potential well. Put a lattice of structure in the well and see band gaps form.

These should be in the ability of anyone who has finished undergrad in physics. These models are not horrible accurate but still give a person a feel for concepts involved. Also if you start with the simple models and work your way up to the more complex models I think it helps people learn how to come up with their own models.

1. What are some examples of interesting problems that can be solved at home with a physics background?

Some examples of interesting problems that can be solved at home with a physics background include building a homemade telescope, conducting experiments on the properties of light and sound, creating a model of a simple machine, and designing and testing a solar-powered device.

2. How can I use my physics knowledge to solve real-world problems at home?

Physics can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, including designing and optimizing energy-efficient systems, predicting and preventing natural disasters, and understanding the effects of climate change. By using the principles and concepts of physics, you can analyze and solve these problems at home.

3. What materials or tools do I need to solve interesting physics problems at home?

The materials and tools needed will vary depending on the specific problem you are trying to solve. However, some common items that may be useful include rulers, measuring tapes, calculators, and basic household tools such as scissors, glue, and tape. You may also need specific materials for certain experiments, such as magnets, wires, or batteries.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills through solving interesting physics problems at home?

Solving interesting physics problems at home can help improve your problem-solving skills by allowing you to apply theoretical concepts to real-world situations. It also encourages you to think critically, creatively, and analytically to come up with solutions. Regularly practicing problem-solving in this way can help sharpen your skills and make you a more effective problem solver overall.

5. Are there any resources or communities available to help me with solving physics problems at home?

Yes, there are many online resources and communities available to help you with solving physics problems at home. These include online forums, social media groups, and websites that offer tutorials, tips, and advice on various physics topics. You can also find instructional videos, interactive simulations, and other tools to assist you in your problem-solving journey.