1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting projectile problem

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Hello, I am practicing for the INternational Physics Olympiad qualifier and I was working on a practice test when I stumbles across what seemed like an easy problem. I thought It was super-intuitive, but I can't seem to verify a correct answer with the multiple choice selection. Here's the Problem:

A ball ( or projectile, no matter) is thrown vertically with a velocity V. The ball reaches a maximum height h. In terms of h, at what height is the ball traveling at half of its initial velocity?

Seemed easy at first, cause I knew and still know that it's a matter of plugging into the kinematics equations. the problem is that my logical setup isn't working out. I tried using the formula V^2=V0^2-2gh, but uh.... it's not workin out Can someone come to my rescue!?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the problem? First figure out what h is in terms of V. Then try using that formula to find the new height.

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3

verty

Homework Helper

The only hint I can give is to write formulas for h and h_2 and then get h_2 in terms of h.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

In your equation V^2=V0^2-2gh the h that comes out is the hight when the ball gets to half oh the velocity (if V = 0.5 V0), with tht you can also find the total hight, the just divide the middle-speed hight with the final hight and find how they are related. For example if Hm = 3 and Hf = 4 then Hm/Hf = 3/4 so Hm = 3/4Hf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?