1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting research questions?

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    hi i'm currently in yr 12 in my first year of the IB diploma studying higher physics. i have chosen to complete my 4000 wrd essay in this subject, but i cant think of a suitable research question. The essay can either be a simple written essay or an investigation/experiment.
    i would like to do it on the topic of 'waves' but any suggestions are welcome

some examples:

-does the frequency of light affect the resolution of the eye
    -can background radiation be reduced by screening
    -wind power: a clean source of energy?

please, any physics-related ideas are much appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    i would do deep investigation of wave eqation and heat equation if possible.
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #3

When I did my extended essay I originally wanted to do something on General Relativity vs Newtonian Gravity (I was ambitious), but I actually wound up doing mine on post-independence mexican history.

As for something in "waves" what do you mean? Wave mechanics (schroedinger equation)? Oscillators? Your choice of topic is really going to depend on your current ability in this field, and you're working on deadline too, which is something to consider. If your math background is only IB Math HL, your choices are limited, though probably not horrendously so.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?