1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting sums

1. May 4, 2003 #1
    interesting inequality involving sums

Which is the smallest n-natural number- for this inecuation:

&#8721k=2n {1/[k * ln(k)]} &#8805 20

Any ideas?

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2003 #2
    Hm... I wonder how i got that.

4. May 4, 2003 #3
    Very interesting indeed...but how did you get that?'n' must be an integer...
    In case it is not clear the sum is from k=2 to n.

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  5. May 4, 2003 #4
    I do not see where that number comes into play. It is certainly not the answer.

6. May 5, 2003 #5
    I crawl back into my hole and will read the question properly next time.

7. May 8, 2003 #6
    Re: interesting inequality involving sums

Nonexistent.
    I think if we let n go to infinity we'll still never get above 5 for the sum.

8. May 8, 2003 #7
    very easy
    u just use the integral test
    because the sum is continuous and decreasing
    if n approach to infinite
    the sum is diverges and must greater than 20

9. May 8, 2003 #8
    I believe newton1 is correct in assuming the series diverges by integral test:

Let f(x) = 1/( x ln(x) ), then since f(x) is positive, continous, and decreasing for n>=2 we apply Integral test.

Integral[ 2->inf, 1/(x lnx) ] diverges, therefore the series diverges as well.

Since the partial sums in this series are non-decreasing (all the terms in this series are positive) , then there will exist a least natural number N for which the sum will exceed 20 (and then stay above it).

I'm not sure what the value of N is, but by applying a variant on the integral test, I think i've found a real value B for which N must be greater.

Suppose you approximate the following integral with right-hand riemann sums with delta_x = 1:
    Integral[ 2->B, 1/(x lnx) ]
    Then the riemann sum approximation will be the sum from k=3 to B of 1/ ( n ln(n) ) (assuming B is integer) and this approximation will be an underestimate.

From which it follows:
    Sum[k=2->B, 1/ (n ln(n) )] <
    Integral[2->B, 1/ (x lnx )] + 1/(2ln2)

The value of N must be greater than the value of B that first causes the integral + 1/(2ln2) to go over 20 because the sum will be less than the integral + 1/(2ln2).

Integral[ 2->B, 1/(x lnx) ] + 1/(2ln2) >= 20

ln(ln(B)) - ln(ln(2)) +1/(2ln2) >= 20
    B >= e^e^(20- 1/(2ln2) +ln(ln(2)))
    B >= 2.726413 * 10^70994084

This value is beyond astronomical!
    And if I've done my calculations correctly, N must be greater than this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?