Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Things to Say about US States

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Do any of you guys have a favorite state? A least favorite state? Commentary to make about strange things you see in particular states?

For me, I have to start off with three tidbits:

1) The I-40 in Arkansas is of less quality than clay roads I've seen on Indian reservations, so what the heck is going on in Arkansas? It's perfectly fine in Memphis, then you cross the bridge and there are potholes and cracks everywhere. As soon as you get into Texas, it's fine again.

2) What is up with the state parks in both Tennessee and Arkansas? I remember names like Toad Suck and Frozen Head. Here in California we have Half Moon Bay and Montaña de Oro.

3) While in West Virginia, I noticed that every other house had a Camaro body, with no engine and no tires, up on blocks in the front yard. I was staying in Charles Town, and I'd ask anyone that lives in that state, is it like that everywhere?

Here are some funny signs from around the country and around the world just for kicks:

http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/signs.html

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Of course, the best always come from Japan, like this:

From a brochure of a car rental firm in Tokyo: When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Maybe it's time to open this thread to worldwide contributions and get some Engrish going.

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't see why in some states (like Ca), interstate exits are rarely numbered...I find it bothersome ! :grumpy:

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I lived out in the pacific northwest for three years. The highways there always had easy to read signes that were appropriately placed so you could see when you needed to exit. Hear in the crowded northeast, it is common to have the exit signs posted AFTER the exit, and sometimes behind lightposts and trees. And street signs: if you are in a town you don't know well, and on the main street and you need to check the name of the street that you are currently driving on...you can't! They don't believe in putting up the name of the main road on the street signs (and it's not always "main street, either).

The sign on the door at our library (a double door, one side stays closed): "<===== Please do not use the other door " . It takes a moment to figure out what they want.

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    well, my favorite state is my home state of new hampshire!!! cept i hate when we're called cow hampshire.. there's seriously hardly any cows here. we don't have hardly any feilds. we're all trees and water, where do the cows live?! ya... no where. the few cows we have are like people's dairy cows.

something i just think is funny is that on utah's lisence plate there's an !... its UTAH! (they seem awful excited!)

in kansas they call the arkansas (ar-can-saw(s)) river the ar-kansas (ar-kan-zas) river.

and when we were kids, we used to call pennsylvania the road kill state. whenever we crossed into PA, there was always lots of dead animals. I also find it amusing how friendly their road signs are. "please don't tailgate" cracks me up everytime. they say please!!

7. Nov 4, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There is some place in Oregon, south of portland I believe where there is a lake. That city is the worst smelling place I have ever been to in my entire life and every past live i ever may or may not have had.

I also hate san francisco. Everyone loves all those hills and "ooo its so groovy and neat". Scared the living daylights out of me driving up and down those damn things and half the time im scared some car is gonna come rolling down at 50mph because someone forgot their brake

8. Nov 4, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been discovering a LOT of that here in WV. And it's not like the streets are laid out in nice grids so once you figure out a few cross streets you can find where you are on a map. I can NEVER see the signs until I'm already at the intersection and in the wrong lane, because they are always posted so something is obstructing them...a building, a large tree, the traffic light. :grumpy:

As for car bodies in yards, no, don't see any of that. I do still find it..erm...interesting...that there will be a row of nice normal looking houses, small, large, well-kept, run-down, whatever, then suddenly a lot with a trailer and a bunch of pick-up trucks. As it is, I live in a bunch of townhouses, and right in front, surrounded by townhouses, is one old house...the owner refused to sell the property, so they just built around him...it's pretty funny looking, but it seems to be par for the course in this area. I don't mind, I actually find it to be a charming quirk about the state, and considering it means that when someone buys property, they can do as they darn well please on it without the neighbors getting in their business, that seems like a very good thing.

9. Nov 4, 2005 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not fair; there's a New Hampshire, but there's no New Berkshire.

10. Nov 4, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe that's where Lisa! lives. :biggrin:

11. Nov 4, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My favorite is still Big Bone Lick state park in Kentucky.

Gale, I agree New Hampshire is a very pretty state with lots of tree-lined winding roads through the mountains (if Pengwuino is scared of driving on the hills of San Francisco, he better stay away from both WV and NH...I'm finally getting used to the narrow, winding, mountain roads around here).

I absolutely loved the blue sky meeting blue water in OR the one time I was there. Loved the cliffs over beaches too.

12. Nov 4, 2005 #11
    Ever heard of Peachtree Street, Peachtree Road, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, etc.? There is about 200 Peachtree Roads here in Atlanta! Try figuring that out! Hey, I love it here!

13. Nov 4, 2005 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hummm... there are not many lakes visible from I5 in Oregon, however here in Albany there are the "freeway lakes" actully more like ponds visible from the freeway and we do have the WaChang and the paperplant right along I5, both of these, in the right conditions can make your eyes water with the stink... I think you are talking about Albany..... Humm... if this is the worst stink you have encountered then I guess you have not traveled much.

Try the feed lots along I80 in the midwest.

14. Nov 4, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No its not albany...

Maybe it was in washington.

Ohhh, Pugent sound or something like that...

15. Nov 4, 2005 #14
    there are the Berkshires in mass. we don't call them "new berkshires" but they're newer than the old ones eh!

16. Nov 4, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: He needs to visit Elizabeth, NJ. :yuck: As you head up the NJ Turnpike toward NY, you'll hit a section just south of the Newark airport. :yuck: It's the most horrid chemical odor ever. I'd much prefer the low tide odor of rotting fish and seaweed you hit along some coastal areas; at least I know that's natural.

17. Nov 4, 2005 #16
    In Colorado, driveing from Denver to Silver City, you first come across a sign saying Beware of Falling Rocks. 1/4 mile down the road the next sign says Flash Flood Zone Climb Rocks to Safty... hmmm so you must climb the falling rocks?

18. Nov 5, 2005 #17

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What a great thread :smile: I love the geography of the USA. Northern Arizona is truly magical, and I am not just talking about the Grand Canyon either. Sedona, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater and the cacti forests are so cool and weird!! The Oregon Coast (especially central) is so fantastic, I highly recommend a visit there if you make it to the west. The Redwood Forests in No. Cali is exceptional too.

Tri-Cities in Washington I found to be highly unattractive. Very dull, dusty and dry. Hot too in the middle of summer. Southern Cali I am not so fond of either.

There is a lot more I would like to see of the USA someday :smile:

19. Nov 5, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Either that is a cheap shot as payback for my Fresno jokes, or you were next to a paper mill.

20. Nov 5, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL!!! :rofl:

21. Nov 5, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you have to admit, Millersburg is pretty stinky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?