Interesting Timelines of Computer History

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Featured

pinball1970

Gold Member
In Secondary School in the U.K. (11-16 years old - High School?) for our 'O' Level Computer Studies, we'd write our code onto coding sheets and they would get sent to our local Polytechnic (where I did my CS degree) to be punched onto card and run on a Prime mainframe. We'd get the music paper output the next week, correct errors, if any, and repeat.
I didnt do computer science because of the trip involved to the nearby college required for access to computers. It would have eaten into my playtime/football.
I first used a computer in anger at 6th form in 1984, I think they had more than than one but I never saw any others.

This thread has me pondering on all the purpose built, low production run computers used in industrial control systems. My only involvement with this Accuray Betamike controller was assisting a factory tech when he came to visit, and then, mostly replacing blown shutter solenoid drive transistors, or assisting in the replacement of a massive, 8", 250K hard disk drive which was exquisitely prone to head crashes.

It had an ASR 33 teletype and library of tape spools with test programs and for reloading the OS, and was similar to the one pictured, although it was probably the next generation.
Accuray computer.jpg

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What a fun thread. Thanks all.

I started in the early 1960s, so naturally the computers were much bigger and power hungry.

One of my favorite memories was from a stunt that could not be repeated with today's computers. I was working with an XDS Sigma 8. It was comprised of about 12 racks, each about the size of a jumbo refrigerator. One day I got really mad at the machine and I kicked it. The kick was so hard, that it left a recognizable footprint on the door to one of the racks. Thereafter, every time I walked past and saw that footprint, it made me smile.