Why is Saturday Night Live such a popular and influential comedy show?

In summary, Willie found some dynamite and couldn't understand it. He was curious and it rained him seven days.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I found a company makes interesting kids toys.

For kids that have trouble catching baseballs, there's the ball of nails, includes a separate crow bar like tool for removal of the ball from small hands.

A halloween favorite is the captain elmo space helmet, bascially a plastic bag and a large rubber band.

For birthday parties, nothing beats the excitement of the scissors relay game. Two scissors per kid is recommended.

Fun with electricty, a plug and two exposed wires, what could be more simple?

Latex tug of war. Very large latex tubing able to handle 1000 lbs of tension. Large spikes are attached at both ends for better grip.

Running of the pit bulls. The Americanized version of a popular European pasttime. They've contracted with major local junkyard dealears in most cities in the USA to provide an ample supply of dogs for rental.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a Dan Akroyd SNL skit. Scissors relay would be fun to watch.

SNL had two of those, ball of nails and the captain elmo space helmet.

I loved that skit. There were two of them IIRC...one for regular products and one for halloween costumes.

We have with us tonight, Mr. Irwin Mainway, President of Mainway Toys. Uh, Mr. Mainway, your company manufactures the following so-called harmless playthings: Pretty Peggy Ear-Piercing Set, Mr. Skin-Grafter, General Tron's Secret Police Confession Kit, and Doggie Dentist. And what about this innocent rubber doll, which you market under the name Johnny Switchblade?

Well, we'd like to show you another one of Mr. Mainway's products. It retails for $1.98, and it's called Bag O' Glass.

I never watched SNL (well, I tried a couple of times, but it sucked). Those sound great, though. W just informed me that a couple of grandchildren (out of 13 :bugeye: ) are coming to visit. Might have to stock up. Reminds me of a poem in my father's 1901 joke book.

Willie found some dynamite
Couldn't understand it, quite.
Curiosity never pays;
It rained Willie seven days.

:biggrin:

Danger said:
I never watched SNL (well, I tried a couple of times, but it sucked).

Get the original cast's shows. Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Garret Morris, Loraine Newman, Jane Curtain. You won't be dissapointed. Also, if you can get Second City TV from Canada its just as good.

What show did Barry & Lavonne come from? All I remember is that they did it like makin' puddin'. Cook...and chilllllllll.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
Get the original cast's shows. Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Garret Morris, Loraine Newman, Jane Curtain. You won't be dissapointed. Also, if you can get Second City TV from Canada its just as good.

What show did Barry & Lavonne come from? All I remember is that they did it like makin' puddin'. Cook...and chilllllllll.
You definitely want the original cast. The first few seasons were great.

It's kind of interesting how the casts' careers have progressed since their stints on SNL. Even Kinky Friedman, candidate for Governor of Texas, got his start on SNL, singing "Dear Abbie".

Trivia: The show was originally just called 'Saturday Night'. ABC already had a show called 'Saturday Night Live with Howard Cossell' (or something really similar). Then Chevy Chase left the show, Howard Cossell's show was cancelled, and Bill Murray, one of the Prime Time Players from Howard Cossell's Saturday Night Live, moved to NBC to become one of the Not Ready For Prime Time Players on NBC's newly renamed 'Saturday Night Live'.

1. What makes a toy interesting for kids?

An interesting toy for kids is one that stimulates their imagination and creativity, provides a challenge or problem to solve, and offers a variety of play possibilities. It should also be age-appropriate and safe for the child.

2. How do I choose the right toy for my child?

When choosing a toy for your child, consider their age, interests, and developmental stage. Look for toys that encourage open-ended play and allow for different ways of play. It's also important to read reviews and check for safety certifications before purchasing a toy.

3. Are there any educational toys that are also interesting for kids?

Yes, there are many educational toys that are also interesting for kids. These can include building sets, puzzles, and STEM toys that promote problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. Look for toys that have multiple learning opportunities and can be used in different ways.

4. Can a simple toy be as interesting as a high-tech one?

Absolutely! A toy doesn't have to be high-tech or expensive to be interesting for kids. In fact, simple toys like blocks, dolls, and art supplies can often be more engaging and encourage more imaginative play than electronic toys. The key is to find a toy that your child enjoys and that sparks their curiosity and creativity.

5. How can I encourage my child to play with their toys more?

To encourage your child to play with their toys more, try rotating their toys regularly to keep them feeling new and exciting. Also, play with them and show them different ways to play with the toy. Get involved in their play and make it a fun and interactive experience. Additionally, limit screen time and provide a designated play space for your child to focus on their toys without distractions.

Back