1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting yet challenging proof

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    how can I show that ... arctan(1/v) = (π/2) - arctan(v) ???
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    well,try giving and playing with the variables untill you get a result.

More of a trial and error method.

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    I know I've been doing that, moving around variables and using the unit circle and right triangles, but I cannot seem to come across a substantial reason why they are equal. Any thoughts?
  5. Mar 24, 2008 #4
    Do v and n represent anything in particular?

Because your equation only works when you have certain values for v and n.
  6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    i knew this would confuse someone... that "n" you see is π, or pi... sorry. Does that help?
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6
    if you use the log representation for artan (1/x) and artan (x) so

[tex] artan(x)= (2i)^{-1}(log(1+ix)-log(1-ix)) [/tex] and the same replacing x--> 1/x you

get the accurate result.
  8. Mar 26, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you allowed to use x = arctan(v) => v = tanx ? :smile:
  9. Mar 26, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

I'm going to point significantly (*points significantly*) to my signature. The clue is given by tiny-tim (and that is what they want you to use): make a diagram of a right triangle with x as one of the non-right angles and use v, written as v/1 , as the ratio of the sides that would come from finding the tangent of angle x (label the sides of the triangle appropriately).

Now, in the same triangle, what angle has a tangent of 1/v ? What is the relationship between that angle and angle x ?

(And, with all due respect to mhill, while that relationship is true, the math is probably way beyond what is being done in Calixto's course...)
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  10. Mar 26, 2008 #9
    Thanks, I understand it now... But could you explain some more what you wrote about the logs and stuff? Just maybe explain where that comes from so I can impress my teacher :)
  11. Mar 27, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x = tany, then y = arctanx, and so:

log(1+ix)-log(1-ix) = log[(1+ix)/(1-ix)]

= log[(cosy + isiny)/(cosy - isiny)]

= log[e^{2iy}]

= 2iy

:smile: = 2i.arctan(x). :smile:

(You see how, to prove anything with arctan(x), you always convert to x = tany?)
  12. Mar 28, 2008 #11

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You basically want to show that

[tex]\arctan (1/v) + \arctan (v) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

Draw a right angled triangle, with the smaller sides length 1 and v. What does [itex]\arctan v[/itex] represent here?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?