Interesting yet challenging proof

In summary, to prove that arctan(1/v) = (π/2) - arctan(v), we must remember that arctan(x) is the angle formed by a right triangle whose side opposite the angle and adjacent sides have ratio x/1. The sum of angles in a triangle is 180 degrees, and trig functions assume that one angle is 90 degrees. Therefore, if one angle is θ, then the other angle would be 180 - (90 + θ), and the tangent of this other angle would be v. This can be proven by drawing a triangle with arctan(v) being θ, and solving for the other angle and its tangent.
Calixto
how can I show that ... arctan(1/v) = (π/2) - arctan(v) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kind of a hint: v = v/1 = 1/(1/v). You just need to remember the definition of tan

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you did with the v. And what about the pi/2 part?

In words, arctan(x) is the angle formed by a right triangle whose side opposite the angle and adjacent sides have ratio x/1. What is the measure of the other non-right angle in this hypothetical triangle, and what would the tangent of this other angle be?

Here's how I think of it... I rearranged the equation so that arctan(1/v) + arctan(v) = π/2

And I understand how the tan of, say ø = 1/v, making the tan of, say ß = v. That part makes sense. The part I'm getting confused on is the π/2, and what that does to the equation.

what's the sum of the angles in a triangle? Trig functions assume that one angle is 90 degrees. If one angle is [itex]\theta[/itex], then what's the other? Draw a triangle to aid you in this. Make one such that [itex]arctan(v)=\theta[/itex]. What's the other angle? What's the tangent of this other angle?

Ok, the other angle must be 180 - (90+ø), correct? And the tangent of this angle would be v... right?

I'm still not seeing this proving business.

Calixto said:
And the tangent of this angle would be v... right?

No! For the other angle, which is the opposite side and which is the adjacent?

1. What is the definition of a challenging proof?

A challenging proof is a rigorous and logically sound argument that requires significant effort and critical thinking to solve. It often involves complex concepts and requires a deep understanding of mathematical or scientific principles.

2. Why are challenging proofs important in science?

Challenging proofs are important because they allow scientists to test and validate theories and hypotheses. They also help to uncover new insights and advance our understanding of the natural world.

3. How do scientists approach a challenging proof?

Scientists typically approach a challenging proof by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps and applying known principles and techniques. They also collaborate and seek feedback from peers to ensure the validity of their arguments.

4. What qualities make a proof interesting?

A proof is considered interesting when it presents a new or innovative solution to a problem, challenges existing theories, or has practical applications in real-world scenarios. It can also be considered interesting if it involves elegant and creative thinking.

5. Can anyone solve a challenging proof?

While anyone can attempt to solve a challenging proof, it requires a strong foundation in the relevant field of study and a high level of mathematical or scientific reasoning skills. It also takes patience, perseverance, and a willingness to learn from mistakes and try different approaches.