1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting yet challenging proof

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    how can I show that ... arctan(1/v) = (π/2) - arctan(v) ???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Kind of a hint: v = v/1 = 1/(1/v). You just need to remember the definition of tan

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you did with the v. And what about the pi/2 part?

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4
    In words, arctan(x) is the angle formed by a right triangle whose side opposite the angle and adjacent sides have ratio x/1. What is the measure of the other non-right angle in this hypothetical triangle, and what would the tangent of this other angle be?

6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    Here's how I think of it... I rearranged the equation so that arctan(1/v) + arctan(v) = π/2

And I understand how the tan of, say ø = 1/v, making the tan of, say ß = v. That part makes sense. The part I'm getting confused on is the π/2, and what that does to the equation.

7. Mar 25, 2008 #6
    what's the sum of the angles in a triangle? Trig functions assume that one angle is 90 degrees. If one angle is [itex]\theta[/itex], then what's the other? Draw a triangle to aid you in this. Make one such that [itex]arctan(v)=\theta[/itex]. What's the other angle? What's the tangent of this other angle?

8. Mar 25, 2008 #7
    Ok, the other angle must be 180 - (90+ø), correct? And the tangent of this angle would be v... right?

I'm still not seeing this proving business.

9. Mar 25, 2008 #8
    No! For the other angle, which is the opposite side and which is the adjacent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?