1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interface plasmons question

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the plane interface z=0 between metal 1 at z>0 and metal 2 at z<0. Metal 1 has bulk plasmon frequency [tex]\omega_{p1}[/tex]; metal 2 has [tex]\omega_{p2}[/tex]. The dielectric constants in both metals are those of electron gases. Show that surface plasmons associated with the interface have the frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]([tex]\omega_{p1}^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\omega_{p2}^{2}[/tex]))[tex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I have these, but I'm not sure whether they're relevant:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex]([tex]\omega[/tex]) = 1 - [tex]\frac{\omega_{p}^{2}}{\omega^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{s}^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\omega_{p}^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to begin this question. A pointer on what I need to think about would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I've tried equating the surface plasmon frequency for each metal, but I'm not getting anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction with that.
    Some of my previous questions were to do with components of the electric field being continuous at the boundary. Is that likely to be what I need to use?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    Ok, I think I've solved this now. I'm just not sure about one of the steps I used to get to the answer.

I assumed that the normal component of the electric displacement D is continuous at the boundary, and hence

[tex]\epsilon_{1}[/tex] = - [tex]\epsilon_{2}[/tex]

Bearing in mind that the boundary is between two metals, is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook