1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference and Diffraction

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    I have the follwoing question for prep for a lab, i have tried to work out the answer but i am struck with trying to work out the intensity at a certain point, in this case 4.1mm from the central maximum. I have tried using trig to calculate the angle to the point using trig then using
    I=I(sin(angle/2)/(angle/2) all squared. Am i on the right track?

"..A diffraction pattern is formed on a screen 120 cm away from a 0.4 mm wide slit. Monochromatic light of 546.1 nm is used. Calculate the fractional intensity, I/I0 at a point on the screen 4.1 mm from the centre of the principal maximum..."

could some please point me in the right direction, thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forums.

This is just a matter of plugging in the numbers in an equation. The equation contains a sine squared over a certain quantity squared. Do you know this formula?

4. May 7, 2006 #3
    sorry i forgot to add it in the first place, yes i think it is the one is added to my question?

5. May 7, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, it depends what you mean by ''angle over 2''. What is the expression for your angle?
    The angle over 2 should be equal to [itex]{\pi a y \over L \lambda}[/itex]

6. May 7, 2006 #5
    I worked out that the angle is 0.191 degrees, substituting into the equation i get 0.0175*I, do i then multiply by 546.1nm?, I am confused about the Io

7. May 7, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equation was incorrect. It should not be sin^2(angle/2)/(angle/2)^2...(this equation is the right one if by ''angle'' you mean the *phase difference* between the two waves but that is not what you are doing here).

I gave you a formula that would not require to calculate the angle, but if you want to, then use the formula

[tex] I = I_0 {sin^2( {\pi a sin( \theta) \over \lambda}) \over ({\pi a sin(\theta) \over \lambda})^2 [/tex]

where theta is the angle you just calculated.
    A word of caution: you should put everything in radians and make sure your calculator is in radians mode when you use this formula.

Since you want the ratio I/I_0, you just need to calculate the right side of the equation and divide by I_0 so it will disappear from your result.

8. May 7, 2006 #7
    I used trig to work out the angle from the source to the point 4.1mm from the maximum. I then used this angle in the equation.

9. May 7, 2006 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's perfectly fine. But when y is much smaller than the distance to the wall, you can also use an equation in terms of y directly. Just replace the [itex] sin(\theta)[/itex] in the equation I gave before by y/L.

In any case, if you use the expression I gave in my previous post you should get the answer you are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?