1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference and Waves

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4605/lchuynh177setphys52awee.png [Broken]

The figure shows the interference pattern that appears on a distant screen when coherent light is incident on a mask with two identical, very narrow slits. Points P and Q are maxima; Point R is a minimum. The wavelength of the light that created the interference pattern is λ = 699 nm, the two slites are separated by rm d = 6 μm, and the distance from the slits to the center of the screen is L = 80 cm . The difference in path length at a point on the screen is ∆s = |s1 − s2|, where s1 and s2 are the distances from each slit to the point.
    1. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point P?
    2. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point Q?
    3. What is ∆s (in nm) at Point R?

2. Relevant equations
    da=sqr(L^2+(D/2+d/2)^2)
    db=sqr(L^2+(D/2-d/2)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer to the first problem is 0.
    But i tried plugging in da=sqr(80^2+(699-3)^2) and im getting it wrong. I tried converting all the units to nm, but then the equation just turns into sqr(80nm^2) because the second term turns into a number close to zero.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

No geometry/trigonometry is necessary.

Think about the requirements for those particular maximum and minimum lines!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    Hmmmm I am almost positive that the pythagorean Theorem must be used. I cant really see it any way. what do you mean by requirements?

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4
    Is the answers 1) 0, 2) 699nm, 3) 1048.85? I believe that the the center is a maxima and Q is the next maxima so that is one full wavelength. R is a minima right after the first maxima so it is 699+349.5 = 1048.85nm. Please get back to me thank you.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

exactly!!!!!!! They ask for path difference, and the maxima and minima occur for specific path differences

EDIT: I am in East Coast Australia, so time differences will explain any delay in this response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook