How Does Incident Angle Affect Two-Slit Interference Patterns?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a plane wave incident on a wall at an angle, with two slits in the wall separated by a distance d=10λ and each slit having width a<<λ. The question is to find the total path length difference in terms of θ, Φ, a, and λ for rays emerging from the slits at angle θ, as well as the angle at which the "central maximum" and "first interference minimum" can be found. The equation for the intensity of a two-slit interference-diffraction pattern may be useful. The angle at which the wave is incident affects the pattern, and if the wave was normal to the wall, the phase difference at the sl
luijsu

Homework Statement

Consider a plane wave (of wavelength λ) incident on a wall at an angle Φ = 30. There are two slits in the wall separated by a distance d=10λ. Each slit has width a<<λ. Rays emerging from the slits propagate to a distant screen where an interference/diffraction pattern may be seen.

a. For rays emerging from the slits at the angle θ, calculate the total path length difference in terms of θ, Φ, a, and λ

b. For what angle θ will we find the "central maximum"?

c. For what angle θ will we find the first interference minimum? Note: There will be a "first minimum" on each side of the central maximum. Find one of these.

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure. Maybe the equation for the intensity of a two-slit interference-diffraction pattern.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is, I have no idea what to make of a. I'm guessing for b and c, that I'm supposed to find the angles at which intensity will be a maximum and minimum, but I don't even have the path difference. I cannot figure out how the fact that the wave is incident affects the pattern.

Physics news on Phys.org
luijsu said:
I cannot figure out how the fact that the wave is incident affects the pattern.
What if the wave was normal to the wall (Φ = 0)? What would be the phase difference at the slits? (That's the usual situation.)

Since here the wave is incident at an angle, the light entering one slit had to travel an extra distance just in getting to the slits. Figure out that extra path length. (The rest of the analysis is standard for slit patterns.)

So, would the path difference just be 10λsinΦ + (10λ+a)sinθ? Is the trig right?

Last edited:
luijsu said:
So, would the path difference just be 10λsinΦ + (10λ+a)sinθ? Is the trig right?
That looks OK, assuming you define your angles with respect to the normal. (A diagram would help avoid confusion, since angles can be left or right of the normal.) But why did you add an "a" to one, but not the other? (I would just ignore the slit width for the purposes of finding the two-slit interference pattern.)

1. What is interference diffraction?

Interference diffraction is a phenomenon in which light waves interact with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark bands. It occurs when two or more waves pass through the same space, causing constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does interference diffraction differ from regular diffraction?

While both interference diffraction and regular diffraction involve the bending of light waves, the main difference is that interference diffraction involves the interaction of multiple waves, whereas regular diffraction occurs due to a single wave passing through a small opening or around an obstacle.

3. What are some real-life examples of interference diffraction?

Interference diffraction can be observed in various natural and man-made situations, such as the colorful patterns on soap bubbles, the iridescent colors of certain insects, and the diffraction grating used in optical devices like spectrometers.

4. How is interference diffraction used in scientific research?

Interference diffraction is a valuable tool in scientific research, particularly in the fields of optics and astronomy. It is used to study the properties of light waves, such as their wavelength and frequency, and to analyze the composition of different materials by examining the patterns they produce when exposed to light.

5. Can interference diffraction be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, interference diffraction can be seen with the naked eye under certain conditions. For example, if you shine a laser pointer through a diffraction grating, you will be able to see a diffraction pattern on a wall or screen. However, some interference diffraction patterns are too small to be seen without the aid of specialized equipment.