Interference Fit Problem involving changing deltas.

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem with interferences in problem number 3. The equations relevant for solving the problem include P=Eδ/2b[((c^2-b^2)(b^2-a^2)/(2b^2(c^2-a^2))], σ=p((c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)), and δ=(2bp/E)[(c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)+v]. It is important to know the thickness of the pipe in order to solve the problem, and the equations take into account the material properties of the pipe. The expert offers guidance on how to approach the problem and suggests asking for clarification if needed
chandler583

Homework Statement

Problem number 3 is the one I have the issue with. I attached it as a PDF file.

Homework Equations

Looking through my textbook, the equations that I think are relevant are:
P=Eδ/2b[((c^2-b^2)(b^2-a^2)/(2b^2(c^2-a^2))]
I am assuming the hub and the pipe are the same material
σ=p((c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)) this is for the tensile at the inner surface in the tangential direction
δ=(2bp/E)[(c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)+v]

I understand the cyclic loading part, I just don't follow what to do with the two interferences.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel I would be able to work out a solution to this problem if I knew the right direction to go in. I know how to handle interference fits, but I do not know if this problem is solvable without the thickness of the pipe.

Attachments

• SCN_0003.pdf
    659.5 KB · Views: 161
Physics news on Phys.org
I also do not know what equations to use for the interferences.

Thank you for bringing up your concerns about problem number 3. I understand that you are having difficulty with the interferences in the problem and are unsure of which equations to use.

Firstly, in order to solve this problem, you will need to know the thickness of the pipe. This information is crucial in determining the stresses and strains in the pipe.

As for the interferences, you can use the equation σ=p((c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)) to calculate the tensile stress at the inner surface in the tangential direction. This equation takes into account the interference between the hub and the pipe.

Additionally, you can use the equation δ=(2bp/E)[(c^2+b^2)/(c^2-b^2)+v] to calculate the deflection of the pipe due to the interference. This equation takes into account the material properties of the pipe, such as its modulus of elasticity (E) and Poisson's ratio (v).

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction for solving problem number 3. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the equations, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is an interference fit problem involving changing deltas?

An interference fit problem involving changing deltas refers to a situation where two parts that are meant to fit together tightly have different dimensions, causing interference or mismatch between them. This can lead to difficulties in assembly or disassembly, and can affect the overall performance of the assembled product.

2. What causes interference fit problems involving changing deltas?

Interference fit problems involving changing deltas can be caused by a variety of factors, such as manufacturing errors, thermal expansion or contraction, and wear and tear over time. It can also be a result of using different materials for the two parts, as each material may have different coefficients of thermal expansion.

3. How can interference fit problems involving changing deltas be solved?

There are a few methods that can be used to solve interference fit problems involving changing deltas. One approach is to adjust the dimensions of one or both parts to achieve a better fit. Another method is to use lubrication or heating/cooling techniques to reduce the interference between the parts. Additionally, using materials with similar coefficients of thermal expansion can help prevent interference fit problems.

4. What are the potential consequences of not addressing interference fit problems involving changing deltas?

If interference fit problems involving changing deltas are not addressed, it can lead to a range of issues such as difficulty in assembly or disassembly, increased risk of damage to the parts, reduced performance or functionality of the assembled product, and potential safety hazards. It can also result in additional costs for repairs or replacements.

5. How can interference fit problems involving changing deltas be prevented?

To prevent interference fit problems involving changing deltas, it is important to carefully design and manufacture the parts to ensure that they have compatible dimensions. Additionally, using materials with similar coefficients of thermal expansion and implementing quality control measures can help prevent such problems. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.