1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference Intensity

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Monochromatic light of wavelength 463 nm from a distant source passes through a slit that is 0.0350 mm wide. In the resulting diffraction pattern, the intensity at the center of the central maximum (θ = 0∘) is 9.20*10-5W/m2 .
    What is the intensity at a point on the screen that corresponds to θ = 1.20∘.
    2. Relevant equations
    I=I0*[sin(πa(sinθ)/λ) / (πasinθ/λ)]2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I = 9.20*10-5 * [sin(π*0.035*10-3*(sin1.20)) / 463*10-9 / π*0.035*10-3(sin1.20)/463*10-9 ] 2
    = 2.802*10-8 W.m-2

This is the answer that I have found but unfortunately it has come up as wrong - I have made sure that my calculator is in degrees and not radians, and have tried multiple times to see if I have made a mistake whilst inputting in the calculator.
    Any idea where I have made a mistake ?

PS: As I am new could you also give me any insight as to how to write my calculations out more clearly on this website, because I am aware that it is very tedious to read the calculations, thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what do you get for ##\ {\displaystyle{ \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda}}\ ## ?

You can use LaTeX by putting latex source between ## \#\# ## or between ## $$ ##

A good way to learn is to use the right mouse button while over a typeset formula and select "Show Math As | TeX Commands"​

[edit] your "I have made sure that my calculator is in degrees" makes me suspicious about ##\ \ \sin \left ( \displaystyle { \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ \right ) \ \ ## :wink: !! 0.087 is dead wrong !

Oh and for such small angles ##\sin\theta \approx \theta ## and you can leave your calculator on radians :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    For ##{ \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} ##
    I have got :
    π*0.035*10-3*sin(1.2) / 463*10-9 ≈ 4.97

which would therefore give me##
    \ \ \sin \left ( \displaystyle { \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ \right ) ≈ -0.97 \ \

##And if I apply the whole formula : I=I0*[sin(πa(sinθ)/λ) / (πasinθ/λ)]2

Is that correct?

Sorry, about the problems using LaTeX, I'm still getting used to it and am trying to edit them out!

Edit : The answer is indeed correct, thank you ! I was just confused as to why I needed to use radians instead of degrees, I think I understand but an explanation would still be welcome, thank you <3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. Nov 3, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are really a beginner, you are doing quite well with LaTeX.

The natural unit for angles is radians. (even in a miscreant like Excel !).

In the expression for ##I/I_0## the ##\displaystyle { a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ ## is a phase difference in number of wavelengths - so in natural units, not in degrees. See also here (but this is a calculation for a minimum).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted