1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference (Michelson Interferometer)

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Hello,
    I have got a Michelson interferometer and measure a laser beam (HeNe @ 633nm). I move the mirror with a step motor of unknown step length and measure the intensity of the beam. I get a nice beat pattern out of that, with "wavelength" of the carrier wave being 14 steps and of the modulation wave being 800 steps of the step motor. Now I want to determine the step length but that suddenly seems to be very complicated.
    The two interfering beams do have the same wavelength, so I would think that this is the wavelength of the carrier wave. But then, there would be no modulation.
    Then I remembered that one of the waves "moves", i.e. there is a varying phase difference, and thought that it would be quite interesting to know the phase speed, but here are my formulae:
    [tex]a=k_{c}x - \omega_{c}t[/tex] is the phase
    [tex]v=\frac{\omega_{c}}{k_c}[/tex] is the phase speed
    [tex]\omega_{c}=\frac{2 \pi c}{\lambda_{c}}[/tex] is the angular frequency of the carrier wave
    [tex] k_c=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda_{c}}[/tex] is the wave number of the carrier wave
    which gives the velocity v=c and I'm quite sure I didn't move the mirror at light speed.
    Please can you give me a clue where I'm mistaken?
    Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted