1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference of Light waves HELP

1. Jun 11, 2004 #1
    I've been trying to get the anwser to this question for awhile. Any help is appreciated. :confused:

1. A glass plate (n=1.61) is covered with a thin, uniform layer of oil (n=1.24). A light beam of variable wavelength from air is incident normally on the oil surface. Observation of the reflected beam shows destructive interference at 549 nm and constructive interference at 727 nm. From this information, calculate the thickness of the oil film.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

find the phase difference

Show what you've tried and where you are stuck.

Here's a hint to get you started: Light will reflect off the surface of the oil and the surface of the glass. These two reflections will interfere. What phase difference must they have to interfere constructively? destructively? How does the phase difference depend on the thickness of the oil?

4. Jun 12, 2004 #3
    the solution that i though would be right

they way i've bee doing it is by using the formula for both destructive and constructive interference.

Constructive inter. --> 2nt=m*(lambda)c
    destructive inter. --> 2nt=(m+1/2)*(lambda)d

Because the thickness of the film is the same --> 2nt = 2nt

:. (m+1/2)/(m) = (lambda)c/(lambda)d = 727/549

and from here solve for mc and sub that into the constructive formula 2nt=m*(lambda)c and you get the thickness.. but teh anwser is not right.

Is there another way of solving this problem or am i solving the wrong way.

5. Jun 12, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In your second equation, what you have as "m + 1/2" could also be m + 3/2, m + 5/2, etc. You need to find the value that makes m an integer. Trial and error!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?