1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference of Light Waves

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    Equations dealing with the interference of light waves have a variable 'delta y'. My biggest problem is understanding what 'y' represents? Does it define the distance between two adjacent fringes? Or the distance of a fringe from the origin? this scepticism might have been the reason for my confusion in these questions.

1.) Two antennas seperated by 300m simultaneously broadcast identical signals of = wavelength. a.) A car is travelling north and is at 400m north of the midpoint line between the two signals. What is the wavelength?

My solution:
    d=3.00m
    L=1000m
    n=2
    y = 400m (from center/origin).

I solved for wavelength and got an answer of 60m. the correct answer is supposedly 55.7m.

Part 'b' of the question: How much further does the car have to travel to encounter the next minimum in reception? (Do not use small-angle approximation).

I understand i must be solving for the dark fringes now. But the formula is confusing since 1.) i cant use small-angle approximation, and 2.) im still confused as to what 'y' represents.

2.) Light with wavelength 442nm passes through a double-slit system that has a slit seperation of 0.400mm. Determine how far the screen must be placed away from the sources to create two fringes directly across from the slits and one frindge between those.

I have wavelength, distance between slits, and i could potentially find y. I must ultimately solve for L (length between screen and slits). Fistly, i have to find where the two fringes which are directly across the slits really are. I assumed that the top fringe is 'd' away from the bottom fringe. Since there is a nother frindge in betwee, the distance between frindges would be 0.4mm/2. Once again, my problem with 'y' haunts me. Should 'y' be the 0.2mm or something else?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

There are two equasions with y.
    One with y (not delta y) and 'n' which specifies which fringe you're talking about. This gives the distance of the n fringe from the middle at distance L:
    y = ((n - 0.5)*wavelength*L)/d
    The other one has delta y and no 'n'. This gives the distance between any two adjacent fringes at distance L. We got this equasion by using the first one and subtracting the distance of the n+1 fringe from the n fringe giving the distance between them:
    delta y = (wavelength*L)/d

Also, if you can't use small angle approximation, then instead of saying that
    sin(angle) = (n-0.5)*wavelenght/d = y/L and finding L which is really only true for tan(angle), then just find the angle by
    sin(angle) = (n-0.5)*wavelenght/d, and find L by doing:
    tan(angle) = y/L
    Hope that helped!

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3
    Can anyone verify the above, and also help on the other questions that i posted? Thank you.

5. Oct 23, 2005 #4
    Revised Question

Question number 2 was solved.

Regarding Question number1:

I use 300m for d (seperation of slits), 1000m for length between "screen" and slits (Sources). Should n = 2? And should y = 400m?

Once again, i calculate 60m. But the correct answer should be 55.7m. Any ideas?
    --

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5
    ?? Anyone? .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?