Understanding the Role of 'y' in Interference of Light Waves Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses equations related to the interference of light waves and the variable 'delta y'. The main question is about understanding the meaning of 'y' and its role in the equations. The conversation also includes two questions with calculations, one involving a car traveling between two antennas and the other involving light passing through a double-slit system. The conversation ends with a request for verification and help on the calculations.
dekoi
Equations dealing with the interference of light waves have a variable 'delta y'. My biggest problem is understanding what 'y' represents? Does it define the distance between two adjacent fringes? Or the distance of a fringe from the origin? this scepticism might have been the reason for my confusion in these questions.

1.) Two antennas separated by 300m simultaneously broadcast identical signals of = wavelength. a.) A car is traveling north and is at 400m north of the midpoint line between the two signals. What is the wavelength?

My solution:
d=3.00m
L=1000m
n=2
y = 400m (from center/origin).

I solved for wavelength and got an answer of 60m. the correct answer is supposedly 55.7m.

Part 'b' of the question: How much further does the car have to travel to encounter the next minimum in reception? (Do not use small-angle approximation).

I understand i must be solving for the dark fringes now. But the formula is confusing since 1.) i can't use small-angle approximation, and 2.) I am still confused as to what 'y' represents.

2.) Light with wavelength 442nm passes through a double-slit system that has a slit separation of 0.400mm. Determine how far the screen must be placed away from the sources to create two fringes directly across from the slits and one frindge between those.

I have wavelength, distance between slits, and i could potentially find y. I must ultimately solve for L (length between screen and slits). Fistly, i have to find where the two fringes which are directly across the slits really are. I assumed that the top fringe is 'd' away from the bottom fringe. Since there is a nother frindge in betwee, the distance between frindges would be 0.4mm/2. Once again, my problem with 'y' haunts me. Should 'y' be the 0.2mm or something else?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two equations with y.
One with y (not delta y) and 'n' which specifies which fringe you're talking about. This gives the distance of the n fringe from the middle at distance L:
y = ((n - 0.5)*wavelength*L)/d
The other one has delta y and no 'n'. This gives the distance between any two adjacent fringes at distance L. We got this equation by using the first one and subtracting the distance of the n+1 fringe from the n fringe giving the distance between them:
delta y = (wavelength*L)/d

Also, if you can't use small angle approximation, then instead of saying that
sin(angle) = (n-0.5)*wavelenght/d = y/L and finding L which is really only true for tan(angle), then just find the angle by
sin(angle) = (n-0.5)*wavelenght/d, and find L by doing:
tan(angle) = y/L
Hope that helped!

Can anyone verify the above, and also help on the other questions that i posted? Thank you.

Revised Question

Question number 2 was solved.

Regarding Question number1:

I use 300m for d (seperation of slits), 1000m for length between "screen" and slits (Sources). Should n = 2? And should y = 400m?

Once again, i calculate 60m. But the correct answer should be 55.7m. Any ideas?
--

?? Anyone? .

1. What is interference of light waves?

Interference of light waves is a phenomenon where two or more light waves overlap and interact with each other. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves amplify each other and create a brighter light, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create a darker light.

2. How does interference of light waves occur?

Interference of light waves occurs when two or more light waves meet at a point in space. This can happen when the waves are traveling through a medium, such as air or water, or when they are reflected off of a surface.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap and add together, resulting in a larger amplitude and brighter light. Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and opposite amplitudes overlap and cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude and darker light.

4. What are some real-life examples of interference of light waves?

Interference of light waves can be seen in many everyday scenarios, such as the colors produced by soap bubbles, the patterns created by oil on water, and the appearance of thin film interference in oil slicks. It is also the principle behind many optical devices, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and the colorful patterns seen in holograms.

5. How is interference of light waves used in scientific research?

Interference of light waves is an important tool in many areas of scientific research, including optics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study properties of light, such as wavelength and polarization, and to create precise measurements and images of distant objects. It is also used in experiments to understand the behavior of particles at a quantum level.