1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference Optics Phasors: how to add these 3 phasors? cos(Θ-π), cos(Θ+π), 3cos(Θ)?

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    3 waves are represented by these 3 waves inteferring:
    cos(Θ-π), cos(Θ+π), 3cos(Θ)?
    cos([tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex]), cos([tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\pi[/tex]), 3cos([tex]\theta[/tex]).

If I want to diagram these, does the cos([tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex]) and cos([tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\pi[/tex]), cancel each other out?

Do I need to convert them to sine functions or can I leave them cosine functions?

2. Relevant equations
    cos(Θ-π), cos(Θ+π), 3cos(Θ).
    cos([tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex]), cos([tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\pi[/tex]), 3cos([tex]\theta[/tex]).

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Interference Optics Phasors: how to add these 3 phasors? cos(Θ-π), cos(Θ+π), 3cos

can you use complex exponentials, and is there any time dependence?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook