Why do we see diffraction effects in radio waves but not in visible light?

In summary, when shining light on a mirror perpendicularly, the reflected beam does interfere with the incoming one, causing oscillation between destructive and constructive interference. However, due to the short wavelength of visible light, it may be difficult to observe these effects without specialized equipment. The colored reflections seen on thin oil films on water are also a result of interference, occurring due to the thickness of the film being close to one wavelength of light.
aaaa202
When you shine light on a mirror perpendicularly. Does the reflected beam then not interfere with the incoming one? With my intuition it would, and the interference would oscillate between destructive and constructive interference. But then why don't I see that when I do the experiment?

Science news on Phys.org
What is the time-scale of such oscillations? Do you have apparatus that can reveal changes on such a time-scale?

Or if you're thinking of spatial separation between maxima and minima, what sort of distances would be involved?

aaaa202 said:
When you shine light on a mirror perpendicularly. Does the reflected beam then not interfere with the incoming one? With my intuition it would, and the interference would oscillate between destructive and constructive interference. But then why don't I see that when I do the experiment?

If you point a beam of radio waves at a reflecting metal plate you do get a standing wave pattern that you can measure easily. Because the wavelength of visible light is so short, you have to go to some trouble to observe obvious diffraction effects.

The coloured reflections from thin oil films on water puddles are due to interference. They form because the oil film is only around i wavelength thick and light is reflected both from air/oil and oil/water interfaces. (Google Thin Film Interference for some nice diagrams).

1. What is interference in physics?

Interference in physics refers to the phenomenon of two or more waves overlapping and interacting with each other, resulting in either an amplification or cancellation of the wave amplitudes. This can occur with any type of wave, such as sound, light, or water waves.

2. How does interference affect the behavior of waves?

The interference of waves can cause changes in their amplitude, frequency, and direction of propagation. When waves interfere constructively, their amplitudes add up, resulting in a larger amplitude. Conversely, destructive interference occurs when waves cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap and their amplitudes add up. This results in an increase in the overall amplitude of the wave. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the wave.

4. Can interference occur with any type of wave?

Yes, interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound, light, and water waves. As long as two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, interference can occur.

5. What are some real-world applications of interference in physics?

Interference plays a crucial role in technologies such as noise-canceling headphones, radio antennas, and optical devices like diffraction gratings. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI. Additionally, interference is used in experiments to study the properties of waves and to make precise measurements of distances and small objects.