Interference - two wave source

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula r1 - r2 = mλ and how it can be applied to calculate the phase difference at point P from two sources. It also delves into the concept of interference and how the presence of a building affects the number of wavelengths that can fit in a certain distance, ultimately leading to a discussion of the formula λ = v/f and its use in solving the problem. The participants also address the question of whether the interference is constructive or destructive and consider the physics behind it.
hyddro
I do not know how to approach this. I am trying to use r1 - r2 = mλ but I can't seem to find the answer! please help.

I figured it out that it is constructive, but i just don't know how to mathematically prove it.

r1 - r2 = mλ.

Attachments

• 20130504_163708.jpg
    20130504_163708.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
hyddro said:
I do not know how to approach this. I am trying to use r1 - r2 = mλ but I can't seem to find the answer! please help.

I figured it out that it is constructive, but i just don't know how to mathematically prove it.

r1 - r2 = mλ.

I suggest giving us the entire problem verbatim. For example, what is the frequency of the source?

Sorry, I totally forgot about this. Both sources are on phase and emit radiation of 15 MHz in every direction. Radiation is detected at point P. They also say that at P, source 1 delivers an average of 4*10^-4 W on a small square of 1cm^2 .

I also have an extra question. Imagine that the building is not there (the 10m long building). How can you calculate the phase difference at P from both sources? I feel like that can help out. Thank you.

Given f = 15MHz, what is the formula for wavelength?

lets see, c = f*lambda, so then, c/f = wavelength. 3.0*10^8 / 15*10^6 = lambda. So, lambda= 20m.

hyddro said:
lets see, c = f*lambda, so then, c/f = wavelength. 3.0*10^8 / 15*10^6 = lambda. So, lambda= 20m.
(Still assuming that the building is not there:)

How far is it from each source to point P ?

How many wave lengths does each of those distances represent?

ok there is a right triangle there, so the distance from source 1 to P would be obviously 40m, and the distance from source 2 to P is 50m. The 40m represent 2 wavelengths and the 50m represent 2.5 wavelengths.

hyddro said:

That's only true in vacuum (n = 1). What is is when n = 2 like in the building?
(The first question asked how many wavelengths there were in the building).

hyddro said:
ok there is a right triangle there, so the distance from source 1 to P would be obviously 40m, and the distance from source 2 to P is 50m. The 40m represent 2 wavelengths and the 50m represent 2.5 wavelengths.
That should tell you something regarding interference for the case of no building there.

rude man said:
That's only true in vacuum (n = 1). What is is when n = 2 like in the building?
(The first question asked how many wavelengths there were in the building).

I believe λ changes with respect to n right? so λ = λnot/n, so λ= 20m/2 so λ=10m, is this the wavelength when n=2? I don't know if there is 1 wavelength in the 10m building, or 1/2 of the original one. I am assuming is 1wavelength of the new wavelength. is this correct?

SammyS said:
That should tell you something regarding interference for the case of no building there.

well, one arrives 0.5 wavelengths later, so is this interference destructive? if i want to use the formula r2-r1 = mλ, then i would do 50-40=m20, where m is .5, so is destructive? How can I apply this for the problem with the building?

hyddro said:
well, one arrives 0.5 wavelengths later, so is this interference destructive? if i want to use the formula r2-r1 = mλ, then i would do 50-40=m20, where m is .5, so is destructive? How can I apply this for the problem with the building?
Yes, destructive.

rude man is well on the way to getting you to that answer.

Thank you! you two are awesome, I am working on the one with the building, any help will be appreciated.

hyddro said:
I believe λ changes with respect to n right? so λ = λnot/n, so λ= 20m/2 so λ=10m, is this the wavelength when n=2? I don't know if there is 1 wavelength in the 10m building, or 1/2 of the original one. I am assuming is 1wavelength of the new wavelength. is this correct?

The actual formula for lambda is v/f.

Now then, when n = 1, v = c. So the wavelength is only 1.5e8/15e6 = 10m, as you correctly decided. And since the building is 10m in length, how many of those new wavelengths can you fit in the building? And in the absence of the building, how many wavelengths can you fit in the same 10m?

I'll let SammyS take it the rest of the way.

rude man said:
The actual formula for lambda is v/f.

Now then, when n = 1, v = c. So the wavelength is only 1.5e8/15e6 = 10m, as you correctly decided. And since the building is 10m in length, how many of those new wavelengths can you fit in the building? And in the absence of the building, how many wavelengths can you fit in the same 10m?

I'll let SammyS take it the rest of the way.

In the presence of the building, you can fit 1 wavelength, in the absence you can fit only half. Let me see if I get this, assume we move the building to the very end of the 40m length. So up to 30m, there are 1.5 wavelengths, but when the wave enters the building, then it can 'fit' one wavelength, so at P, it arrives at 2.5 wavelengths in total? how can I do this using the r2-r1=mλ formula? thank you.

hyddro said:
In the presence of the building, you can fit 1 wavelength, in the absence you can fit only half. Let me see if I get this, assume we move the building to the very end of the 40m length. So up to 30m, there are 1.5 wavelengths, but when the wave enters the building, then it can 'fit' one wavelength, so at P, it arrives at 2.5 wavelengths in total? how can I do this using the r2-r1=mλ formula? thank you.
Formulas, formulas, formulas.

Can you do it by considering the physics of the situation? (Then we can discuss the formula with some confidence.)

In terms of waves, both distances are 2.5 wavelengths. What is the nature of the resulting interference?

SammyS said:
Formulas, formulas, formulas.

Can you do it by considering the physics of the situation? (Then we can discuss the formula with some confidence.)

In terms of waves, both distances are 2.5 wavelengths. What is the nature of the resulting interference?

Im sorry I didnt mean to get you upset or anything, but I wish to understand this fully for my upcoming test. They both arrive at 2.5 wavelengths so the interference is constructive I believe.

hyddro said:
I'm sorry I didn't mean to get you upset or anything, but I wish to understand this fully for my upcoming test. They both arrive at 2.5 wavelengths so the interference is constructive I believe.

Yes.

So in some sense, r1 becomes equivalent to the distance occupied by 2.5 of these wavelengths.

There is a quantity referred to as "optical path length". Yes, these are radio waves, a form of Electro-Magnetic wave, but so are light waves.

The optical path length is the product of the index of refraction times the actual path length.

The optical path length from Source 1 to point P consists of 30 meters through air and 10 meters through the building. that's
1∙(30 m) + 2∙(10 m) = 30 m + 20 m = 50 m​

Of course the optical path from Source 2 to point P remains 50 m .

So if you use the respective optical path lengths for r1 and r2, you can use the equation r2 - r1 = mλ .

SammyS said:
Yes.

So in some sense, r1 becomes equivalent to the distance occupied by 2.5 of these wavelengths.

There is a quantity referred to as "optical path length". Yes, these are radio waves, a form of Electro-Magnetic wave, but so are light waves.

The optical path length is the product of the index of refraction times the actual path length.

The optical path length from Source 1 to point P consists of 30 meters through air and 10 meters through the building. that's
1∙(30 m) + 2∙(10 m) = 30 m + 20 m = 50 m​

Of course the optical path from Source 2 to point P remains 50 m .

So if you use the respective optical path lengths for r1 and r2, you can use the equation r2 - r1 = mλ .

Thank you!

I would add a slight word of caution: that formula is a condition for constructive interference, but you shouldn't really think of applying it in the strict normal sense. What it is saying is, "does a whole number of wavelengths fit in the difference?" And if the answer is yes, then you have constructive interference. But if you just plug in r2 and r1 and subtract, you can get any number of course!

mathskier said:
I would add a slight word of caution: that formula is a condition for constructive interference, but you shouldn't really think of applying it in the strict normal sense. What it is saying is, "does a whole number of wavelengths fit in the difference?" And if the answer is yes, then you have constructive interference. But if you just plug in r2 and r1 and subtract, you can get any number of course!

Thankss for replying, can you explain in more detail what you meant? are you saying that the difference in wavelengths must be a whole number otherwise the formula won't work?

If m is a whole number, then the interference is constructive (in a maximal sense).

If m is an odd half integer , i.e. a whole number plus 1/2 , then the interference is destructive (in a maximal sense).

SammyS said:
If m is a whole number, then the interference is constructive (in a maximal sense).

If m is an odd half integer , i.e. a whole number plus 1/2 , then the interference is destructive (in a maximal sense).

Oh ok thank you again.

1. What is interference in relation to two wave sources?

Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. In the case of two wave sources, it refers to the phenomenon where the waves combine and their amplitudes either reinforce or cancel each other out.

2. How does the distance between two wave sources affect interference?

The distance between two wave sources plays a crucial role in interference. When the sources are closer together, the interference pattern will have a shorter wavelength and a higher frequency, while a larger distance between sources will result in a longer wavelength and a lower frequency.

3. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. This happens when the crests of one wave align with the crests of the other wave, or when the troughs align with the troughs, causing the waves to reinforce each other.

4. How is destructive interference different from constructive interference?

Destructive interference also occurs when two waves overlap, but in this case, the waves have opposite amplitudes and cancel each other out. This happens when the crests of one wave align with the troughs of the other wave, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude or even no wave at all.

5. What are some real-life examples of interference between two wave sources?

Interference between two wave sources can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as the formation of rainbows, the colors produced by oil slicks on water, and the patterns created by pebbles thrown into water. It is also important in practical applications, such as in radio and television transmission, where multiple signals can interfere with each other if they are not properly separated.