How much work is required to empty a spherical tank buried underground?

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
In summary: So I think D_{i} would be something like 1.5.In summary, to empty a tank of oil through a valve 1ft above the ground, the tank needs to be filled with oil with a weight density of 40lbs/ft^3 and the work required is 32pi Delta Y.
Winzer

Homework Statement

A tank in the shape of the bottom half of a sphere of radius 10ft. is buried so that the top of the tank is 5ft. below the surface of the ground. If the tank is intially filled woth oil ( with wieght density [tex]\delta=40\frac{lbs}{ft^3}[/tex] determine how much work is required to empty the tank through a valve 1ft above the ground.

Homework Equations

[tex]W=FD[/tex]
[tex] x^2+y^2=100[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I drew a picture with a half circle with the top at -5 and the valve at 1. So I decided to slice out an element [tex]x_{i}[/tex] which looks like a disk . The ith volume of that disk is [tex]V_{i}\approx \pi (r_{i})^2\Delta Y[/tex] I let [tex]x_{i}=-\sqrt(100-(y_{i})^2)[/tex] be equall to [tex]r_{i}[/tex].
[tex] V_{i}\approx \pi (100-(y_{i})^2) \Delta Y[/tex]. Multiplying that quantity by [tex]/delta[/tex] I get [tex] m_{i}[/tex]. I then multiply that by 32ft/sec^2 which is my g. Then my [tex]D_{i}=1-y_{i}[/tex] since each element will be traveling this distance. So [tex]W_{i}\approx 32\delta\pi\ (100-y_{i})^2(1-y_{i}) \Delta Y[/tex] As [tex] \Delta Y \rightarrow 0[/tex]
I finally have [tex]W=32\pi\delta\int_{5}^{15} (100-y^2)(1-y)dy[/tex]
Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmm ... maybe that [tex]D_{i}=1-y_{i}[/tex] should be [tex]D_{i}=1+y_{i}[/tex]?

I could add a picture if that is helpful

Nope, doesn't sound reasonable. And no picture necessary, you described it pretty well. And you've got all the right parts, but the solution is all jumbled up. You don't seem to be really clear on what y or y_i is. The clue something is wrong is that the integrand changes sign. So parts of it contribute negative work and parts positive? I don't think so. And you are already given a 'weight density' which is a 'force density' so there is no need for a g in the problem. Tell us what is the y you are integrating over, is it distance from the ground to the sphere section, distance from the sphere section to the exit point, distance from the sphere section to the top of the sphere? I think you may have just used all of those for the same variable.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Nope, doesn't sound reasonable. And no picture necessary, you described it pretty well. And you've got all the right parts, but the solution is all jumbled up. You don't seem to be really clear on what y or y_i is. The clue something is wrong is that the integrand changes sign. So parts of it contribute negative work and parts positive? I don't think so. And you are already given a 'weight density' which is a 'force density' so there is no need for a g in the problem. Tell us what is the y you are integrating over, is it distance from the ground to the sphere section, distance from the sphere section to the exit point, distance from the sphere section to the top of the sphere? I think you may have just used all of those for the same variable.

Oh! ok that's true I definatley do not need g, lol. [tex]y_{i}[/tex] is just an element, a slice takin out, it doesn't become y till I take the reimman some and n->infinity. Yes so I am intergrating y over the bottom of the of the sphere, to the top of the sphere because that is the section containing the oil.
So my limits of intergrations should be negitive right and switched around?
[tex]W=\pi\delta\int_{-15}^{-5} (100-y^2)(1-y)dy[/tex] which becomes
[tex]W=-\pi\delta\int_{5}^{15} (100-y^2)(1-y)dy[/tex]

I know I am close.
Edit: is [tex]D_{i}=1-y_{i}[/tex] right?

y is the distance from what to what?

Ok, let's say, judging by the (100-y^2) term that y is the distance from the top of the hemisphere to the disk you are lifting. The range on your integral is 0-10. Then how far does a disk at y have to be lifted? As I read the question a disk at y=0 goes up 6ft. A disk at y=10ft goes up 16ft. What does this tell you about the linear factor in your integral?

Last edited:
No.! [tex]x=-\sqrt(100-y^2)[/tex] is the raduis of the sphere. Then
[tex]y=\sqrt(100-x^2)[/tex] would be the hieght.
But I chose [tex]x_{i}=-\sqrt(100-y^2)[/tex] because [tex]r_{i}=x_{i}[/tex]. This [tex]r_{i}[/tex] is the radius of the partioned disk so: [tex]r_{i}=-\sqrt(100-y^2)[/tex]
Yes I see now: so [tex] D_{i}=1+y_{i}[/tex].
I don't think it would be on the interval 0-10. The half sphere is 5ft below the surface with a radius of 10ft so the bottom of the tank would be -15, and the flat top is -5.

Last edited:
This attachment should clear things up

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 360
Ok so r^2=(100-y^2). If y=(-15), which you say is the bottom of the tank, then r^2 is negative. You haven't convinced me this is correct. Even without looking at the attachment.

correct. R^2 is the raduis of the tank we can chose it to be +/-, either way when we plug it into our volume equation and square we get [tex]V_{i}=\pi (r_{i})^2\Delta y\longrightarrow V_{i}=\pi (-/+\sqrt(100-y^2))^2\Delta Y\longrightarrow V_{i}=\pi (100-y^2)\Delta Y[/tex]

You aren't listening. You may be able to choose +/- but for y=-15 sqrt(100-225) is neither. It's IMAGINARY. If you mean to say something like sqrt(|100-225|), then that's larger than 10. An unusual radius of a hemisphere of radius 10.

mmmmm...

My picture I drew looks correct right? yah I see where you are saying it is imaginary.

Ah...now I get it
how about [tex]x_{i}=+/-\sqrt(100-(y-5)^2)=r_{i}[/tex]
That looks way better.

So instead of [tex] x^2+y^2=100[/tex]
it should be [tex] x^2+(y+5)^2=100[/tex]

Last edited:
I also think my [tex]D_{i}[/tex] is wrong. since each element will have to travel between my partition interval of [-15,-5], to 1,
So i should be [tex]D_{i}=6+y_{i}[/tex]

If you are going from y=-15 (bottom of tank) to y=-5 top of tank) I'm ok with r=sqrt(100-(y+5)^2). y=-15, r=0 and y=-5, r=10. Seems ok. But now look at your D=6+y. y=-5, D=1? Shouldn't that be 6?

I guess I am confused finding [tex]D_{i}[/tex]

You've picked y=-5 to be the coordinate of the top of the tank. D should be the distance the oil has to travel to get out. At y=-5 that is D=6ft. At y=-15 that is D=16ft. So you want a linear expression in y that evaluates to those D's at those values of y.

But doesn't each slab have to travel so shouldn't it be D= 6+Y.?
If it was d=6, then that would just be the top slab.

Yes! 6 is the distance for top slab. 16 is the distance for the bottom slab. What then is it for some y in between? 6+y does not work for either the top slab (gives 1) or the bottom slab (gives -9).

ok so [tex]D_{i}=1-Y_{i}[/tex]

Winzer said:
ok so [tex]D_{i}=1-Y_{i}[/tex]

Yes. Perfect.

So can I state that:
[tex] W=\pi\delta\int_{-15}^{-5} (100-(y+5)^2)(1-y)dy[/tex]

Now it looks right.

Thank you dick, I really appreciate your patience

1. What is Intergal Application (Work)?

Intergal Application (Work) is a theoretical concept in the field of intergalactic travel and exploration. It refers to the use of advanced technology and scientific principles to enable humans to work and thrive in other galaxies besides our own.

2. How is Intergal Application (Work) different from space exploration?

Intergal Application (Work) is a more advanced and ambitious form of space exploration. While space exploration focuses on studying and understanding different celestial bodies, Intergal Application (Work) aims to establish a sustainable human presence in other galaxies.

3. What are the potential benefits of Intergal Application (Work)?

If successful, Intergal Application (Work) could lead to significant advancements in technology and understanding of the universe. It could also open up new opportunities for resource extraction, scientific research, and potential colonization of other galaxies.

4. What are some of the challenges faced in achieving Intergal Application (Work)?

One of the biggest challenges is the vast distance between galaxies, which would require extremely advanced technology and long-term space travel capabilities. Additionally, there are potential ethical and environmental concerns that must be addressed.

5. Is Intergal Application (Work) currently being pursued by scientists?

While there have been discussions and proposed concepts for Intergal Application (Work), it is still a theoretical concept and not currently being actively pursued by scientists. However, research and advancements in space exploration and technology could pave the way for potential future developments in this area.