Intergal of x^2/sqrt(x^2+3)

• Thread starter ParoXsitiC
  • Start date
In summary: Doing so gives you\frac{1+ a^2}{2} \int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx}Now the x^2 in the numerator becomes a^2 and the denominator becomes 1+a. So the final equation is\int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx}=\frac{1+ a^2}{2}
ParoXsitiC

Homework Statement

[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

sinh-1(u) = u' / (u^2 + 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Make the x^2 + 3 look like x^2 + 1 by taking out a sqrt(3). Giving you

[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{3} \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{3}+1}}[/itex]

Set the constant outside the integral.

[itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{3}+1}}[/itex]

Now we find where [itex]u^2 = \frac{x^2}{3} [/itex] , which is [itex]u = \frac{x}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]. Now we know the u of the sinh-1, we find u'

[itex]u' = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]So now we taken care of everything but x^2...

Where to go now?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, now substite in the sinh. You'll see that it works out fine...

What do you get??

I know that the sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) is in the answer, but there is still a multiplication between x^2 and the the sin so more needs to be done.

I can't just have

(1/3)x^3 * sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) + c

because the product rule states uv' + u'v, if it was as easy as u'v' then it would work.

ParoXsitiC said:
I know that the sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) is in the answer, but there is still a multiplication between x^2 and the the sin so more needs to be done.

I can't just have

(1/3)x^3 * sinh^-1(x/sqrt(3)) + c

because the product rule states uv' + u'v, if it was as easy as u'v' then it would work.

:confused: You have the integral

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx}[/tex]

after your substitutions right?? So just substitute in [itex]x=sinh(u)[/itex]

Micromass likes his hyperbolic functions substitutions! Perhaps just because i learned them first, I always think of trig substitutions first. Here, after taking out a [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], you have [itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex] and since [itex]1+ tan^2(\theta)= sec^2(\theta)[/itex] I would let [itex]x= \sqrt{3}tan(\theta)[/itex].

Of course, then, the [itex]x^2[/itex] in the numerator becomes [itex]3tan^2(\theta)[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex]

Shouldnt that be 3 not sqrt(3)

I still don't get it. I need more of a step by step. coming to the solution wolfgram comes to:

Image%202011-09-06%20at%208.06.47%20PM.png

I see how you decided what x is, but I don't see how they decided what u was.

ParoXsitiC said:
[itex]\sqrt{1+(x/\sqrt{3})^2}[/itex]

Shouldnt that be 3 not sqrt(3)
No, it shouldn't. Notice the parentheses. Both x and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are squared.

I still don't get it. I need more of a step by step. coming to the solution wolfgram comes to:

Image%202011-09-06%20at%208.06.47%20PM.png

I see how you decided what x is, but I don't see how they decided what u was.
The crucial point is that you have [itex]\sqrt{1+ a^2}[/itex] and want to get rid of the square root. You should immediately think of the trig identity [itex]1+ tan^2\theta= sec^2\theta[/itex].

1. What is the formula for calculating the integral of x^2/sqrt(x^2+3)?

The formula for calculating the integral of x^2/sqrt(x^2+3) is:

∫(x^2/√(x^2+3)) dx = (1/2)((x√(x^2+3))/2 + (3/2)ln|x+√(x^2+3)|) + C

2. How do you solve this integral using u-substitution?

To solve this integral using u-substitution, let u = x^2+3. Then, du = 2x dx. Substituting these into the original integral, we get:

∫(x^2/√(x^2+3)) dx = (1/2)∫(1/√u) du = (1/2)(2√u) + C = √(x^2+3) + C

3. Can this integral be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using integration by parts. Let u = x and dv = x/√(x^2+3) dx. Then, du = dx and v = √(x^2+3). Substituting these into the integration by parts formula, we get:

∫(x^2/√(x^2+3)) dx = (x√(x^2+3)) - ∫(√(x^2+3)) dx = (x√(x^2+3)) - (1/2)(x√(x^2+3)) - (3/2)∫(1/√(x^2+3)) dx

Simplifying this, we get √(x^2+3) + C.

4. What is the graph of this function and its integral?

The graph of the function f(x) = x^2/√(x^2+3) is a curve with a vertical asymptote at x = 0 and a horizontal asymptote at y = 0. The graph of the integral, F(x) = √(x^2+3) + C, is a curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches infinity and has a y-intercept at (0, √3).

5. How is this integral related to the arc length of a curve?

This integral is related to the arc length of a curve because it can be used to calculate the arc length of the curve y = x^2/√(x^2+3). The arc length formula is given by:

L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx

By comparing this to the given integral, we can see that the numerator of the integrand is equal to x and the denominator is equal to √(x^2+3). Therefore, the integral can be used to calculate the arc length of the curve.