1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergal question

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let [tex] F(x) = {\frac{1}{x}}{\int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt} [/tex]
    Prove, without calculating the integral (but assuming that F exists in (0,infinity)) that:
    a) the limit of F at 0 is 1.
    b) for all x>0 [tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt <= x[/tex]
    x) supF((0,infinity)) = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I solved a using L'hopitals rule and the fundemental theorm.

b) First I defined a new function G where G(x) = F(x) for all x>0 and G(x) = 1 for x=0.
    Now, I know that G is continues for all x>=0 and has a derivative for all x>0. So I have to prove that G'(x) < 0 for all x>0. I got that in order to prove that I have to prove that
    [tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt > x e^{-x^2}[/tex] for all x>0. In order to do this I can define a new function [tex] H(x) \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt - x e^{-x^2}[/tex]. Now, H(0)=0 and for all x>0 H'(x) >0 and so H(x)>0 for all x>0 which means that G'(x) < 0 for all x>0 and so G(x) < 1 for all x>0 and since in this domain G(x)=F(x) we get that F(x)<1 for all x>0.
    But this is a stronger result than what was asked for (=<), is my proof right?

c)We know from b that 1 is an upper bound of F in (0,infinity). Now, lets assume that there exists a number 0<c<1 so that c is also an upper bound. Since the limit of F at 0 is 1 we can find a D (delta) so that for all 0<x<D |F(x)-1| < (1-c)/2. This means that
    F(x)-1 > -(1-c)/2 => F(x) > c which contradicts the fact that c is an upper bound!

Are those right? Especially (b) and (c).
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Anyone? Please tell me if anything is unclear.
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Sorry, the things you're supposed to prove all seem completely obvious to me, but I rarely know what constitutes a mathematically rigorous proof.

For (b), I would say e^(-t^2) <= 1 for all real t, so the its integral over any range will be <= the integral of 1 over that range. But I suppose I need to *prove* e^(-t^2) <= 1 for all real t first ...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?