Solving Integral Problems: Step-by-Step Guide for Definite Integrals in Calculus

• Thread starter Learner123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a closed line integral symbol being used instead of a normal integral symbol. The problem is with the first integral, xe^(2x). The conversation then goes on to discuss using integration by parts to solve the problem. It is mentioned that the entire expression for the indefinite integral must be evaluated at the endpoints for a definite integral.
Learner123
Intergral problem! please help!

Homework Statement

[tex]\oint[/tex](x: 0 to 1)[tex]\oint[/tex](y: [tex]\sqrt{}(1 - x^2)[/tex] to e[tex]\overline{}x[/tex]) xydydx

The region bounded by y = e[tex]\overline{}x[/tex], y = [tex]\sqrt{}(1 - x^2)[/tex], and x =1
3. The Attempt at a Solution
i got stuck when i came to the part: 1/2 [tex]\oint[/tex](x: 0 to 1) (e^(2x) -1 + x^2)xdx
i appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org

The symbol you are using is the symbol for a closed line integral. You should be using a normal integral sign: [tex]\int[/tex].
Otherwise, since the integral is a linear operator, you have the following sum of integrals:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\int xe^{2x} dx - \int x dx + \int x^3 dx\right)[/tex]
Which one is giving you a problem?

the first one xe^(2x) thing
i guess it's intergral by part, but not sure

I tried to do part and this is how i done (for the first intergral):
u = x, du = dx, v = 1/2e^(2x), dv = e^(2x)dx
uv - [tex]\int[/tex] vdu
1/2xe^(2x) - [tex]\int[/tex] 1/2e^(2x)dx
1/2xe^(2x) - 1/4(e^2 -1 )
x runs from 0 to 1, but 1/2xe^(2x) is not in the intergral part, so how to eliminate x?
very appreciate for more help!

Learner123 said:
1/2xe^(2x) - 1/4(e^2 -1 )
This entire expression is the indefinite integral; the entire expression must be evaluated at the endpoints of the integral if the integral is definite.

got it! i didn't know that after spending 3 calculus classes, what a shame of me! thank you so much for your help and your time.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a curve between two given points. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and consists of an integrand (the function being integrated) and integration limits (the points between which the area is being calculated).

2. How do I solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you must first identify the integrand and the integration limits. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to simplify the integral. Finally, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the numerical value of the area under the curve.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a definite integral?

The steps for solving a definite integral are as follows:

1. Identify the integrand and the integration limits.
  2. Simplify the integrand using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities.
  3. Apply a suitable integration technique to simplify the integral further.
  4. Evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.
  5. Check your answer and make sure it is in the correct form.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving definite integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving definite integrals include:

• Forgetting to include the constant of integration when evaluating the integral.
  • Using the wrong integration technique for a given integral.
  • Forgetting to change the limits of integration when using substitution.
  • Not simplifying the integrand before attempting to integrate.
  • Not checking your answer for correctness and proper form.

5. Can definite integrals be solved using technology?

Yes, definite integrals can be solved using technology such as graphing calculators or computer software. This can be especially helpful for more complex integrals or when dealing with functions that cannot be integrated by hand. However, it is still important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving definite integrals by hand.