Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergrate power of sin

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    can't figure this problem out for the life of me.
    the intergral of:

any help as to what idenity i should sub in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you still have your calculus textbook, there should be an entire section devoted specifically to integrals of this type. It's a good section to have handy as a reference, so I strongly suggest looking it up.

As for this particular example, have you noticed that the integrand is the same as (sin x cos x)^4 dx? (I'm assuming you meant to have a dx in there, though you didn't state it)
  4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    yes i have my book, but it doesnt help me figure out this problem which is what i need to do. what we've been doing is intergrals with one trig function to an odd power, and the other to an even. so the method has been substitue something for a trig power squared. i am lost as to what to do with two evens. i have tried using the same type of subsitutions but it has given me nothing. and i dont see where your suggestion leads me.
  5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The section really should have something on the case when they're both even powers as well... you should double check. I remember usually having to look through the section a couple times to find it in the text they used at the university to which I went.

As for my hint... if you stare at it, there should be something that leaps out and screams "do this" -- it's something that really should have come up before.

If not, once you figure it out or are told what it is, remember for the future. :smile:
  6. Apr 13, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \sin 2x =2\sin x \cos x [/tex] (1)

[tex] \cos^{2}x=\frac{1+\cos 2x}{2} [/tex] (2)

[tex] \sin^{2}x=\frac{1-\cos 2x}{2} [/tex] (3)

is all u need to solve this

[tex] \int \sin^{4}x\cos^{4}x \ dx [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?